Ram ?

Jason8284

Daemon Poster
I know that 32bit systems only can read a maxium amount of ram. I have 4gigs I installed on a new computer and it shows it only has 2814MB, I want to know why it shows it that low? On my other computer with the exact same OS it shows 3.5gigs, why such a difference?

In bios all the ram is there. Is it because it's a diffrent mobo? The new 1 is a EVGA 680i LT SLI Mobo.

its probably because the OS is using more RAM for some reason for the background tasks.

where is it showing this exactly? Because if you check your system spec without using a program like CPU-Z or the Crucial then it wont show the full amount of RAM

I know that 32bit systems only can read a maxium amount of ram. I have 4gigs I installed on a new computer and it shows it only has 2814MB, I want to know why it shows it that low? On my other computer with the exact same OS it shows 3.5gigs, why such a difference?

In bios all the ram is there. Is it because it's a diffrent mobo? The new 1 is a EVGA 680i LT SLI Mobo.

32 bit is not limited to 4GB of ram, it's limited to 4GB of addressing space. Things like your video card and other assorted hardware use that address space.

This is why you will never see over 3.25GB of ram on a 32 bit operating system*.

*Their is something developed to help a 32 bit OS address more than 4GB of ram called PAE. Microsoft no longer supports this, however you can still run it on XP.

I know that, but it is showing at 2814MB, that is too low It should be higher. All my other computers are at 3.5GB which is normal under 32bit. 2814mb should be higher, I just want to know why it's lower than my other computers. All have the same OS Windows Vista Home Premium.

okay. cpu-z reads all my ram, but it shows it at 400mhz, any reason why it's not at 800mhz like it's suppose to?

Back
Top Bottom