Ram

Shantei

In Runtime
Sorry about this question, but I've got confusion about having diffrerent sized memory modules and whether it's a good idea. E.g having 2 x 512mb dual channel and buying the same type but 2 x 1024. I heard it's best to have all modules the same size.

Thanks in advance.

if u have 4 RAM slots and got 2 X 512 and 2 X 1024 then they will still run in dual channel.

its only not a good idea to have like a 1024 along side a 512 coz there diff sizes. but i personally would rather have 1.5Gb in single channel than 1Gb in dual channel.

i think the whole dual channel thing is overated theres no doubt its better performance but not worth losing 512MB like i have seen some ppl do jus coz it wont run in dual channel

if u have 4 RAM slots and got 2 X 512 and 2 X 1024 then they will still run in dual channel.

its only not a good idea to have like a 1024 along side a 512 coz there diff sizes. but i personally would rather have 1.5Gb in single channel than 1Gb in dual channel.

i think the whole dual channel thing is overated theres no doubt its better performance but not worth losing 512MB like i have seen some ppl do jus coz it wont run in dual channel

So you're recommending me to stick with getting another 2x512 instead of 2x1024 along side my current 2x512?

it wont hurt performance as long as they all run at there rated speed and not any lower so if you have ddr2 800 dont buy ddr2 667

if you can afford it get the extra 2 gigs no doubt

no mate if u have 2 X 512mb already go get another 2X 1024 if u have the cash aslong as u have pairs of the same size ur good to go

it wont hurt performance as long as they all run at there rated speed and not any lower so if you have ddr2 800 dont buy ddr2 667

if you can afford it get the extra 2 gigs no doubt

Ah right .. well I can get 2gb (2x1gb) DDR2 @ 800Mhz Dual for £20 more than the exact same except 1gb (2x512mb) - so definitely I can afford it .. it's just I heard somewhere that because I have two 512s I should get another 2 512s as 2 1024 isn't .... well, good I guess. I'm not sure why. Probably aload of bull.

Yeah, it was a load of bull. There is nothing bad that can happen by mixing 2 512 sticks with 2 1024 sticks.

Yeah, it was a load of bull. There is nothing bad that can happen by mixing 2 512 sticks with 2 1024 sticks.

Good reassurance there - which leads me onto another question, in your opinion would you recommend me getting another gb or 2gb in which I could get another 2gb for just £20 more than 1gb .. it's a great deal, but 2gb sounds about right and perhaps the performance boost of 3gb of ram wouldn't be significant .. or would it? Is it worth it?

It depends. When you work with RAM you get what can be referred to as diminishing returns. The more you buy, the less impact you notice by buying more.

If your gaming or doing things like video/audio editing or anything demanding like that, go for it. If you area leisure gamer, or just do office stuff, three gigs of RAM is overkill.

It depends. When you work with RAM you get what can be referred to as diminishing returns. The more you buy, the less impact you notice by buying more.

If your gaming or doing things like video/audio editing or anything demanding like that, go for it. If you area leisure gamer, or just do office stuff, three gigs of RAM is overkill.

Lol, I'm making a pain out of this whole thing, I know :rolleyes:

What would you do if you had this choice of buying either one? (Let's say you had the money too and the extra costs of $35 or something isn't that great) I just can't make my mind up ...

Back
Top Bottom