Ram

Insunna

In Runtime
Okay, one last time I've finally mustered up the money and I'm able to afford the Ram. I have in total about $300 to spend on Ram. This doesn't mean i want to spend the entire amount. I only want 1GB of Ram, so please don't post suggestions for more then this. I have DDR2 SDRAM. This is one of them i was thinking about getting.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144177

Questions i have though, the timings.. 4-4-4-10.. What does this mean, and is it good? As well as what does PC2 5400 mean.. Is this good? I have the Dell Dimension 5100 Mobo is this going to be compatible..

Any other suggestions that would be compatible with this Mobo, and is with in my price range. Post away. I want something that is going to be worth the cost, and last me a few years. Because after this I'm buying a better GPU.

that ram looks pretty good, the timings are much higher on ddr2 so those timings u posted look about right but compared to mine for example they look terrible lol but because ddr2 has a higher clock speed that makes up for it, as for the ram being compatible u should check out the motherboard manual and if u dont have one then go on dells web site and find it there

Well right now with the stock Ram from Dell (Micron Tech) the timings are 3-3-3-8. What is the importance of these numbers? Should i be looking for something lower. Some around the lines of what you have in your sig? Other then that, what i posted is good ram no? Or is there something a little better still in the 1gig range?

This is what the service manual says about my Memory.

Memory

Type

400-MHz and 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM

Memory connectors

four

Memory capacities

256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB non-ECC

Maximum memory

4 GB

NOTE: See "Addressing Memory With 4-GB Configurations" to verify the amount of memory available to the operating system.

BIOS address

F0000h

Edit: Also, again what does PC2 5400 mean?

ok so u can have a maximum speed of 533mhz so look for something with that speed and try to get the lowest timings possbible, the timings show how fast the ram reacts so the lower the better

Back
Top Bottom