RAID 0 question

dano4600

Solid State Member
is it worth it to run a RAID 0, is the speed increse worth the risk of losing all your info if a drive goes bad?

I've read some stuff online that says it is, others say its not

I have 2 750gig Western Digital Caviar Black drives

thanks everyone

I think its worth it if you backup all you stuff on another hdd, just in case something happens to you raid array.

i dont think its worth it because i only use my computer to play games, and for games, a single HDD outperforms RAID0.

From what I have read, there is actually very little to no speed increase in RAID 0. However, I have also read that there is a speed increase , but it is really only noticeable if you're into video editing. Beyond that it is useless. The only reason I cannot do it and find out for myself is because of monetary limitations and the fact that the computer I want to (and only one I would be able to) do it on is a family computer. Otherwise I would definitely try it and test it for myself, then give you some real results.

RAID 1? Give me a break, that's just plain mirroring. That's the slowest solution. RAID 0 is best for gaming and performance, as long as you backup your stuff. If you want redundancy, use RAID 5 with 3 HDDs. Can't go wrong with that, but still, make backups...HDDs are #1 failures of all times.

RAID 0 definitely gives you a performance increase, but that also has some dependence on your CPU. That is unless you have a RAID card (not RAID controller, two different things).

I ran a RAID 0 setup a long time ago with a couple of 250GB drives and it was pretty zippy. I needed the extra space though.

RAID1 can be pretty useful. Plus, the OP hasn't even stated why he wants to run RAID. For him it could be better to go with the mirroring array.

Still, RAID 1 drains 50% of storage, while RAID 5, which has striping, you lose 33%, but they're in use for data restore. 3 HDDs, one fails, he replaces it, and then has the two other HDDs restore the missing bits for the data. Cool, but not to depend on.

RAID1 can be pretty useful. Plus, the OP hasn't even stated why he wants to run RAID. For him it could be better to go with the mirroring array.

is it worth it to run a RAID 0, is the speed increse worth the risk of losing all your info if a drive goes bad?
I say no more...

Right. He asked to see if RAID0 was worth it. But what exactly is he going to use it for? I was suggesting, that depending on what he likes to do a RAID1 could be worth it. Plus, I doubt he can fill up 1.5TB of information.

Back
Top Bottom