Quick question about Processor Heatsink?

v930

In Runtime
Hello I was just wondering if it was ok to remove the heatsink off the processor and to put it back on real quick? Reason asking is because I had to remove it aside cause there was a wire I had to get to that was under it. So I was wondering if it is ok to go ahead and just put it back on the processor and screw it back down. Im on the pc rite now. Just want to know if its safe or do I need to regrease it? CAuse the grease looked fine to me and I made sure nothing touched it on the processor or the heatsink. Thank you in advance.

Personally I always replace the thermal compound when the heatsink has been removed from the cpu. I would suggest that as a matter of course, as you are running the pc without doing so I guess it is OK, check your temps to see if there is any increase because of doing this. If there is, replace the thermal compound.

v930 said:
...... Im on the pc rite now.......
This has me rather confused, are you running the pc without the heatsink screwed down??? If you are you are in danger of overheating or killing your cpu.

lol no I put it back on everything is back on. There was alot of compound still left on both the Processor and the heatsink. This is a Dell Dimension 9150. I just had to get to this one wire that was under the plastic cover and it was attached to the heatsink. But is there any way for me to check the temp of my processor being that this is a dell?

I always clean off the old thermal paste with Articlean or rubbing alcohol (>90%). Once you lift the heatsink up, it gets contaminated and the heat transfer efficiency goes down. Then i just reapply a new layer or AS5.

Back
Top Bottom