Question and Idea.. Winder if there is some way to make it work.

clem1

Solid State Member
Hey all.. I have an idea and I want to know if i can get it to work.
ok here is my idea, question.

ok this may sound stupid but bare with me..

I was wondering if it was possiable to phone a number that your computer is connected to. have your computer awnser after a certain number of rings. then imput a number code on the phone keypad. hang up and have my computer dial up and access the internet. once it goes online it will be set up so it automaticaly updates it's ip address with my dns so i can login to my webserver on it. doing this from a distance like 200 miles away..

please let me know what you think if it is possiable. or even how i could do it.

thanks for your help

~Clem

Yes.. This can be done..
What I would do is install PC anywhere.

You set your computer up as "Host" the your 200 mile away computer will be the "remote" When you dial your house phone number, PC anywhere will answer.

Wolla.. your in your computer.. PC anywhere will allow you to have complete control of your computer. Built into this is a File server (FTP). thats the easiest.

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat...751&xid=49997&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

BTW: not stupid at all. I have done this many times for work. We then got Broadband connection and I stil use the PC anywhere.

Thanks

Thanks I will certainly check that out..

But I was thinking more along the lines of a do it yourself way so i learn how to set it up and everything.. not just have the softwear do it for you..

maby i am going in over my head here but I find it interesting.

thanks.

~Clem

I'll have to look around in my boxes, it you like I have an older version of PC anywhere. It's not the newest but it will work..

As far as doing it for yourself. it will take lots of software the will most likly be buggy and really piss you off when your 200 miles away.

Well scratch that PC anywhere software I have..

The version is "Remote Version"
This means you would have to buy the "Host" version.

Back
Top Bottom