Question about upgrading

seanlindo06

Beta member
I'm experienced as far as XBox upgrading and modding is concerned, but I'm completely in the dark concerning microsofts "other side". I just got my mom's old pc, an etower 400i (yes cringe and hide) The only upgrade I've done to it so far is install windows xp pro and upgrade the RAM to its maximum, 256 :-(

http://www.epinions.com/pr-E-Machines_etower_400i_400I_PC_Desktop/display_~full_specs

above is the system specs, ignoring the RAM of course. I'm really not sure what I can do to my machine, would it be possible to overclock the processor I have now/ upgrade to a newer processor? I apologize if the questions are stupid or "n00b". Lets all pick on the new guy ;-)

Hey Welcome to the Forums! Wow that is an old system lol. Now for your questions, you probably won't be able to overlock that Processor. To OC, You need very good cooling which i don't think that system has. If you are going to upgrade, you should buy a new HDD for sure. 4.3 GB is a joke. Also, if you are going to upgrade CPU, you'll have to purchase a new Motherboard aswell. Just my suggestions, other people can recommend new parts.

You dont need very good cooling is the core is fine.
Turn on your computer, press delete, find cpusoftmenu, fine the speed and make it user defined,change fsb up 5, restart and see if everything is fine. Check your temps with everest(search google). Repeat this until it doesnt seem stable. When that happens and it wont turn on, open up the pc and find the cmos jumper and move it and then move it back.

I would upgrade all you can....lol

Back
Top Bottom