Question about recording TV onto my PC

jmcst22

Solid State Member
I just bought a Compaq Presario SR2020NX Media Center... I was setting up the Media Center and there was something mentioned about recording television to my PC...

I am not sure what I need to do this:

Basically, what type of cable do I need to connect the PC to the TV?

I have read something about needing a special card for this, does anybody know if this model of PC comes with the card already installed?

It appears that I already have the necessary soft-ware.

If anybody could answer these questions for me it would be appreciated.

Also, what are the costs of the card/cable?

If you have a tv tuner you can already record your tv shows.
But to use your pc on the tv, your tv will need to have either S-Video, Component, DVI or VGA.
DVI would be best to use if your tv has support for it.
After that you're done.

So there is an S-Video cable for PC's?

I have S-Video but there is nowhere to plug the other end on my PC, unless it goes into the USB port...

MikeReiner said:
I found your model here: http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...ct_code=341268&Pn=Presario_sr2020nx_Minitower

Now i'd assume your PC came with a TV tuner, which would mean you need to plug your TV cable into your PC, then you can either watch or record TV using your PC.

You don't need to hook a TV up your to your PC to record.

Thanks for doing the research Mike. However, I believe that my PC does not have a tuner because there is no cable hook-up on the back, just the standard PC connections like USB, ethernet, etc. I did some research of my own and found a tuner card for $45-$50 that supposedly gives good quality if you are just using it for recording of TV programs and nothing truly extensive/taxing.

jmcst22 said:
Thanks for doing the research Mike. However, I believe that my PC does not have a tuner because there is no cable hook-up on the back, just the standard PC connections like USB, ethernet, etc. I did some research of my own and found a tuner card for $45-$50 that supposedly gives good quality if you are just using it for recording of TV programs and nothing truly extensive/taxing.

i thought all prebuilt Media Center PC's do come with TV Tuners, because otherwise you'll get many problems running WindowsXP Media Center(i'm assuming thats the OS your running)

Back
Top Bottom