Question about Modems/phone lines

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

I was just wondering if I purchase a standard internal modem (Like this one), can I plug the phone line into it and use some software on my computer, coupled with a mic/headset to make and receive calls with it?

Thanks,

Matt

If you are running XP you can use hyper-terminal. (Under access.)
They also have software out there that will do what you want to.
You will have to play with it if you want the free versions.

If you are running XP you can use hyper-terminal. (Under access.)
They also have software out there that will do what you want to.
You will have to play with it if you want the free versions.

Whaaaaat? Hyperterminal isn't used for voice calls, think of it as telnet over the phone network.

Anyways, you can not make a normal phonecall and be connected to the internet at the same time without 2 phone lines. You could try VOIP phones, but dialup doesn't offer the bandwidth for them to work correctly.

Whaaaaat? Hyperterminal isn't used for voice calls, think of it as telnet over the phone network.

Anyways, you can not make a normal phonecall and be connected to the internet at the same time without 2 phone lines. You could try VOIP phones, but dialup doesn't offer the bandwidth for them to work correctly.

Thanks for the reply. I have a broadband internet connection, but I want to be able to make calls from my Media Center PC in the lounge room, using a wireless headset to sit on the couch (lazy I know), so was wondering if it's as simple as plugging a phone line into a 56k and being able to make and receive voice calls using some sort of software.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom