Question about CPU speed (ghz) between p4, core2duo

GMan88

Beta member
Hello everyone! I just wanted to know why core2duo cpus have lower ghz than p4 cpus but perform faster. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks for any help!

The whole design of the processor is completely different. An E6300 will outrun a Pentium D at the same speeds, and even at much higher speeds.

prefetching of instructions, length of pipelines, IPCs, efficiency. All the good stuff that the C2Ds excel in over Net Burst.

Do the Core2Duo also use less energy and not get as hot?
Thank you all for taking the time out to answer my questions!

ace, you can't really say that. Your Pentium 4 might have a faster clock speed, but i doubt you can play games and run a virus scan at the same time ;)

thats the point for some reason I CAN. there comps are macs and I can run jsut as much stuff and better for some reason.I try and run a game on there comps and the internet and they can't run well.

you're comparing apples to oranges, since they are Macs, they run on a completely different operating system. For productivity tests, you need the same foundation to compare.

running itunes and Internet Explorer at the same time mine runs faster. I understand operating systes will be diffrent but in the long scheme of things mine will run better.

Back
Top Bottom