Q about Mainboard Connector

Ryde

Baseband Member
Hi there
I just bought a new computer and when i opened it up i noticed something that i'm not quite sure about. The connector that goes from the power supply to the mainboard is a 20 pin connector but the socket is a 24 pin socket. There is another 4 pin connector that also comes from the P/S that fits together with the 20 pin but it is not connected. Is this used for something else or should this be connected? Here's a link to a picture:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/snuff007/comp.jpg

Ive been adding hardware but i dont wanna fire it up until i know for sure. Since i opened the case my MDG warranty is void (which is complete BS if you ask me but that's another story) so i dont want to screw anything up. thanks

If the board has a 4 pin connector you'll almost certainly need to plug it in as on most boards with with a 4 pin its the main power to the cpu and your comp won't start without it...anyway even if its not a hundred percent neccessary if the manufacturers put a 4 pin connection on the board you can be fairly certain you won't damage anything by plugging into it if you don't need to. All Athlon 64 systems and P4 systems use them.

thanks corolla, actually i started it once before i opened it up and everything worked ok. it was when i opened it to install my net card that i noticed it wasnt plugged in. as long as it wont hurt anything i suppose i'll just plug it in and leave it.

any other opinions on this?

Then again, and I'm contradicting myself here--the old saying goes, "if it's not broken, don't mess with it". There can't be harm in doing it though, I mean if the motherboard have the 4 pin connector on there, it was meant to be used. *shurg*, but maybe leave it to be safe.

I hate for you to plug it in and the whole PC gets screwed all from that little plug. Yeah, just leave it if that's how it came.

lol you dont sound too sure there corolla

actually i did some research and apparently the intel 915 board can be used with a 24pin P/S and it's also backward compatible with the old 20 pin style.

i'm still not too sure why they didnt have it set up for the 24 pin since the socket is 24. I think ill just connect it as a 24 and hope for the best. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom