PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I get the following error on bootup:
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

My harddrive is not appearing as a selectable boot device from the BIOS or the BOOT MENU.

Any ideas? Or has the inevitable happened to a 6 year old computer, the hdd dead. Is their a way to check if its dead or not besides putting it into a different computer?

UPDATE: I have now have a new problem. I ripped off my cable from my floppy, (didnt actually rip it off), and used that cable for my harddrive. This, to my amazement is actually working because the floppy cable is in much worse condition.

However, now when the computer starts to boot, and gets to the windows loading screen, it restarts. BAH HUMBAG! Anyone have any ideas?

its not the cables, after the sucess with the floppy cable, i used a new cable to attach my hdd to my mobo and the system keeps restarting in a loop.

lhuser said:
Maybe Windows needs to be repaired.

Whenever i put in my windows repair disk and start the repair, it just brings up a blank dos screen. I dont know what to do from their.

Anything written?

Or, try this:

Select the Windows folder, press enter for the wroot password and then, type in fixmbr and fixboot.

bha humbag thanks a lot for your help lhuser. I was doing something silly, i was going into the repair catalog, which is not what i want to do. I had to select to install windows first, then select the partition i wanted to install it on, then hit R to repair it.

Thanks for your help lhuser! (i added to your rep for following up, and if you hadnt suggested a repair i probably wouldve tried to troubleshoot for at least another day or two).

There, I am very pleased to have seen your problem fixed. Thanks for rep :)

Look for yours :D

Back
Top Bottom