PSU question

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
What is the difference between Single +12v rails and Dual +12v rails, and what is the purpose of this? Just need some info so I can choose a psu accordingly. Thanks.

Well from my understanding a "rail" is talking about the voltages that a PSU supplies. That is, if you have a 3.3V rail it means the PSU delivers 3.3v on some of the wires. If you have a 5v rail it means the PSU suppliers 5v on some of the wires and a 12v rail means the PSU puts out 12v across the other wires.

If they say the PSU has more than one "rail" for the 12v what they mean is that the 12v wires don't "share" the 12v connection, instead they all have their own set of wires and connectors and its a better way of delivering full 12v to power things such as the graphics card, cooling systems etc.

Having more than one 12v rail is a more stable way of delivering the power, to put it basically.

If your using pretty new hardware such as Core Duo type motherboard and CPU, having more than 1 12v rail

Hey thanks. I read up on some more and I now have a better understanding. I also learned that having adequate amps in a psu is equally important. Now that I know, makes choosing a decent psu with the right specs for my first build.

Back
Top Bottom