PSU HELP

fetus

In Runtime
This is refuggin'-diculous PSU HELP!@#!@12

I recently ordered a Dell Optiplex GX620 and it comes with a 305 Watt proprietary power supply. I bought a Geforce 6800GT for the computer and the video card recommends at least a 350 Watt psu. I went out and got a standard ATX PSU and it is exactly the same size as the PSU in my Dell only it's a 20-pin connecter and the Dell is 24. Not only that but I heard that a standard ATX PSU will fry the motherboard and/or the power supply itself. I've heard that I'll need this "Dell to ATX converter" to fix the problem...but the converter has only 20 pins as well. I'm also not even sure if the converter is compatible with my system because my Dell motherboard doesn't have this extra connecter...

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html
(in the picture there's another little connecter on the left...my Dell motherboard lacks it)

I don't know what to do...I've done a lot of research on this and the results vary. Some people think the ATX PSU will work just fine despite it having a 20-pin connecter as opposed to my Dell's 24-pin connecter. Some think the converter will solve the problem. All I wanna do is get a damned power supply so I can use this video card...Dell doesn't even carry any higher wattage PSUs for this model. WHAT CAN I DO?!1@#!

Re: This is refuggin'-diculous PSU HELP!@#!@12

Call up DELL, ask them what to do. Do that and if it doesn't work blame them.

The 24-pin ATX is a later version (2.0 I believe). Earlier versions can work with it, but only with yet another adapter. Once again, check inside YOUR computer to see if it has that extra power connection near the standard ATX connection. If not, you probably won't need the Dell to ATX converter. HOWEVER, since you got an earlier version ATX PSU, you need a converter to get it from 20 pins to 24 pins:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812201001

So, here's a recap:
1) Find out if you need the ATX-Dell converter by looking for that extra connection coming from the PSU. If yes, go to step 2. If no, go to step 3.
2) Purchase the ATX-Dell converter and attach it to the motherboard. This will leave just a 24-pin connection to plug into.
3) Purchase the ATX 20-pin to ATX 24-pin converter linked above. If you needed to follow step 2, plug one end into the Dell to ATX converter and the other end into your PSU. If you DID NOT need to follow step 2, just plug one end into the motherboard ATX connection and the other end to your PSU.
4) Rejoice.
5) Damn Dell for being so complicated.
6) Rejoice again.
7) Make pie.
8) Eat pie while rejoicing.

OOHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh I see...so basically Dell is flaming. Thanks for the help and I guess I'll just get a new PSU instead of buying yet another adapter. But wait...even if I buy one of the newer ATX PSUs with 24-pin connecters won't I still need a converter? If so, will I just need to buy that extra 24-20 pin adapter to use with the Dell to ATX converter since THAT converter has only a 20-pin connecter on it?

Now that I look more closely at the pictures, that motherboard has a 20-pin ATX. I'm guessing that since yours is 24-pin and there's no extra connection near it (at least you haven't said there is.... have you checked yet??!!?), you won't need the Dell to ATX converter. You'll only need the 20-pin to 24-pin converter if the PSU you get is 20-pin. If the PSU you get is 24-pin, you shouldn't need to get EITHER converter. Just make sure that the ATX connection is 24-pin and that there is not another power connection close to it.

Yes I've checked inside my case and all that is there is a 24-pin connecter...so what you're saying is all I need is a 20-24 pin converter or a new PSU with a 24-pin connecter? Are you sure it's safe for me to just go ahead and use an ATX PSU without some kind of converter? I still don't know if it's safe for me to just plug my ATX PSU into my computer without any kind of Dell to ATX converter because I think it'll fry the motherboard and/or the PSU itself. From what I've heard though, Dell MADE proprietary connections in their computers from 1998 to 2002...so I'm not sure. But a Dell tech support guy told me that it was a proprietary PSU even though he didn't elaborate about what would happen if I used another PSU or any converters. AHh WAHD DO AIe DO? I guess I'll just order a new PSU with a 24-pin connecter or a 20-24 pin adapter and hopefully everything will be fine. Sorry I flooded this site with like 40 posts about my single problem and thanks again to everyone for their help( especially Spank_Fusion).

No problemo. It sounds like you just have a plain old ATX power socket, but without being able to see it personally, I can't really guarantee which setup you'd need. Use your best judgement.

Back
Top Bottom