PSU finally gave out after 1 year, 1 month

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Well people, my desktop PC is RIP (for now). Power Supply meltdown. Big time. I was working on my laptop (thank goodness for the spare computer), when I heard a bunch of static sound and the monitor on my desktop gave out. The whole PC shut down. I can smell smoke big time and see the white smoke coming out of the back of the PSU. Plus the PSU was hot to the touch.

Upon taking the unit apart (just in case if it could be anything else), the smell was definitely coming from the PSU and not from the GPU or CPU. What happened was I left a game on (NBA Live 06) idling for nealy the whole day without exiting the game. It crashed when the power gave out. The 450watt PSU is gone. I don't know if it would have occurred if I hadn't left the game running all that time.

I'm going to see if I can get a new PSU, possibly an Antec 500 or 550watt version. My motherboard isn't SLi so I won't be running dual video cards. Man, what a day. First time ever a piece of hardware gave out on me.

I never got a chance to run it because it was saved on my desktop computer. While downloading, I was playing the game and forgot about it. Everything's still intact, except for the current game I was playing.

The PSU was an Asys 450watt version of their cheap PSU. It was stock with the case. I ran stock before on other PCs and it's still running. This rig I have is however, more powerful than the others I've used so I'm not surprised it blew up on me.

I may just end up rebuilding this PC. Haven't given a final though yet as to what I will end up doing to it.

Hey, dont you have a Zalman 9500? If you do rebuild your computer or what not let me know if you want to sell it. One of my friends is trying get a used one...Just thought i would ask to try to help him out

I don't have a Zalman cooler on my PC. Everything is stock cooling except for the regular 80mm fans I manage to squeeze in there. I'll consider selling my components though. RIght now, money is tight. In a way, it's pretty good that it happened. As simple as a PSU failure, it still require action to get it going. That usually triggers me to start a new build, lol.

Seems like Computerforums was done for a bit. Anyways, I've come upon this PSU unit.

ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148027

I was going for the Antec at first but it cost a bundle. This one is really cheap and it has good features too. Any of you guys have experience with this particular power supply? It uses a 24 pin motherboard connector instead of the 20+4 connector. I don't think this will pose a problem for my motherboard and CPU. The Gigabyte motherboard that I have has a separate 3 pin power plug close to the CPU, but it doesn't look like this PSU unit have that kind of setup.

Back
Top Bottom