Which processor do you recommend?

Clutch1

In Runtime
I'm getting ready to strip my lame compaq tower and replace it with either this or this.

Now, I figure, while I have everything apart, I might as well up grade a few things. I'm just curious to know what processor would be best for me. I'm getting into computer gaming and right now, I'm hooked on Diablo 2. I want to get something that will work well for me, but not something bigger than what I need. If it's just a few bux extra I would go with the better one.

Would it be easier to just upgrade the whole motherboard or get a new processor and install just that?

I don't do a lot of online gaming cause I have heard some horror stories about people being hacked. My friend Rob was playing Diablo 2 online and he got sent a prog that made his character just randomly start running in circles and dropping things and the guys who sent it to him cleaned him out.

First of all, what are your other components? Motherboard details?

As for the cases, I prefer the latter link, but that's my preference. Usually it should be you who should decide the case, because it's based mostly on preference.

If you can only use windows and are unable to use linux then wait a while until vista comes out. After it is released i am sure the hardware manufacturers will come out with something new. Intel Core processors are excellent though if you are in a hurry

Well, I want to learn Linux. Any suggested reading before I make the switch?

By the latter, you mean the blue one? That is the one I'm leaning towards now. There are a few others I like, but I wanna get the right interior combo going before I dump a bucket load of cash into a case.

And Alvino, that was actually gonna be another question I was going to ask. I have a bit of a tight budget, but it can be worked around. I have a plain jane Compaq sr1220nx right now, not sure on the specs, but I wanna try for something better; something faster. I don't do a hugh amt of gaming, but by the time I have a new tower completed, I probably will, so I might as well get the good stuff. what mother board/processor should I go with? I want something I can just buy and install, quick and easy.

Unless my current problem with my hard drive can't be fixed, I am going to save the hard drive (or if someone can give me a reason to scrap it). My problem right now (I already have a thread going and thing I have found the solution) is I have 4 partitions with windows xp loaded into them cause I caught a virus and didn't have my boot disc to format the drive from. In using my GF's boot disc, I added 3 more versions trying to fix the problem.

Also going to save my cd/dvd drive and I just picked up an LG cd/dvd burner with the laser-something-or-other (LOL, I forgot what it's called) where it scribes a label on the top of the disc and I want a 3.5 drive cause I bought a box of 3.5's and can't use them although I'd like to, to back up my files.

Well it depends. You have to consider lots of compatability options. What video card interface are you using? RAM? CPU Socket?

Aecliptic said:
Also, how tight is your budget.

Well, my budget is a bit on the tight side, but I can definatly spare a few bucks if need be.

I was thinking about it today and I can get a discount on dell computers thru my job, buy a bare bones setup and build from there.

I also looked into a few of the barebones setup's on www.tigerdirect.com and found a few I liked. All I need is a decent processor, hard drive, good video card and simple cd/dvd drive and room to build. i have a dc/dvd writer I picked up a few days ago and I'm gonna attach my hard drive at least long enough to do a format on it and put it back in the other one.

I just gotta see how things go money wise for now and than work from there. If I could come up with some extra loot, I'd go all out, but, push come to shove, I don't need top of the line.

Well if you're looking to build a good comp that will last you a long time, go for a dual cored cpu. I just looked on Tigerdirect, and saw this pretty good deal, Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 with an ASUS mobo for about $430. I don't have anything against barebones kits, its just that the Intel Core 2 Duo, is the latest and greatest, and won't be put in a barebones kit for a while. Start with that, and work your way up. It's def worth it in the end though.

Back
Top Bottom