Processer/motherboard replacement...

kocheez75

In Runtime
So my computer is about 6 years old and due for upgrade. Theres a few questions I have about replacing the processor and motherboard.

Current Setup: Dell dimension, PIII 800mhz

1. Will any motherboard fit in any case?
2. Will changing the processor require a reboot (or restore) of the entire system? Or is it like a plug and play device where i will just have to install the new drivers and will run as usual?
3. Are all processors compatible (running windows XP pro)? Im upgrading to the Celeron D 2.3

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1697047&CatId=0

Ive installed new hard dives, cd drives, video cards, ect...but never a motherboard or processor so im a little unsure about how to do it (but i think i have a pretty good idea). Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

...Okay. You're probably not going to like what I'm about to say...

1) No.
2) A lot more than a restore.
3) No. And why in the world are you getting a Celeron?!

However, for question number one, as long as you get a case that says it is MicroATX compatible (it will in the description) then it'll be fine. Changing the processor (and motherboard, in your case) will require a complete reinstall of your operating system. You may as well reformat in that case and back up all of your important data on CD's, DVD's, a flashdrive/external hard drive (this is probably the preferred choice).

You'll need to get a new case, too. I mean, you may not have to, but they aren't too expensive, look cool, and are usually a lot more roomier than the manufacturers' cases (like Dell, their cases are always extremely cramped).

as long as u get a case that is ATX not micro ATX because thats the tiny motherboards get one that says its ATX compatible then any motherboard will fit in, also the celeron is a useless cpu and i advise u dont get it if u have the money get an amd 64 3000+ theyre not to expensive and will do a million times better than a celeron also once u get a new cpu ur going to need a new motherboard anything made by ABIT, ASUS, DFI or MSI will be fine and make sure its a 939 socket, and yes u will have to reinstall i suggest u just back everything up and reformat and do a a fresh install it always works best

The main reason im getting the celeron is for the price. 69 for the motherboard processer isnt that bad. Its for my parents pc, so theres not really a need for anything much faster, just mainly internet and mabye some music.

Well, if you aren't doing any gaming and that's all you will be doing, a Celeron should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom