problems wit hard drive

KillaRay

Baseband Member
so i havent used my actual computer for like a year.. i decided im going to go and make the jump to linux so i decide to use my actual computer (ive been using my friends for about a year.) so i go ahead and boot up and everything starts fine... i back everything up onto a whole bunch of dvds and im all set.. i then take my multimedia HD that i had put in my friends computer back into mine and now the thing wont start up, it wont identify and drives and if it does it says that the primary IDE isnt working... i dont get y that happens and when i take out my Multimedia HD which is the primary slave, then everything runs well... anyone know wut could be the problem?

Did you check the jumpers are correctly set?

Sounds like two masters to me.

Or CS with the slave at the end of the cable and not the middle.

Anyway, check your jumpers are set correctly.

ok ive rechecked the jumpers and u were right.. the jumpers for the OS containing HD were set to slave.. now i put them to Master and switched on the PC with that solo HD in, and the PC read it as the primary Master then i turned it off and installed the other media HD and then it reads that one as the primary and my other that was primary master it reads as slave now.. im confused cause i have the OS HD on master and my Media HD on slave but they are switched.. any ideas?

ok redid it again.. and everything is set up properly.. but now my PC occasionally beeps at start up, i heard from these forums that that means something is wrong but if i restart the computer it wont beep.. so im confused

one beep is post, meaning the pc has posted and will load windows, it is normal. Any other beeps are called a "Beep code" and are a diagnostic to inform you of problems, these vary from bios to bios.

Is your pc booting up and detecting both drives in both the bios & windows?

Is your beep a single beep or a beep code? e.g. two short beeps one long beep or variations of that

the beeps only happen occassionally so i never paid them any mind since they stop once i restart... the drives r both picked up by bios and linux.. i uninstalled windows.. everything works fine but if i can get rid of the beeps it would be cool

You haven't answered my question ......... Is your beep a single beep or a beep code? e.g. two short beeps one long beep or variations of that

can you post them in a one long two short format, that is the bios telling you what the problem is. You will need to know what your bios is and the beep code to interpret what the code means.

Have a look at this page: Bios Central

e.g. Award bios beep codes and their meaning (These pertain to award bios only)

1long, 2 short - Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop) - Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1long, 3short - No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card. etc

Do you get the idea now? You need to supply more information. You could also refer to your m/board manual to check for the meaning of your beep codes.

Back
Top Bottom