problem with my motherboard, or bios, maybe both

solamisandwich

Solid State Member
instead of just getting to the problem i think its best that i tell exactly what i was doing so it doesnt make me look like a total idiot. i was having trouble playing many performance demanding games like doom 3, half life, BF2, etc. i kept getting this Machine_Check_Exception error on the BSOD. i've had this problem before my new hard drive (last one mest up) so the first thing i new to check was my IDE cables and my master/slave jumpers. i was that i might have had my IDE cables intertwined with the wrong peripherals. anyway i was looking in my bios (AwardBios) and came upon some settings that were described to control things like plug and play. i figured it wouldnt hurt to tinker with it because nothing else worked. it was set to auto and when i changed it to manual a screen came up suggesting which peripherals to set. they were all set to selected PCI device or something like that. after taking a phonecall i forgot about it and exited while saving. now all my video is gone. nor does the system completely boot because i never hear that lovely windows jingle through my speakers. i hope anyone knows how to fix this. ANY help is appreciated.

can you get back into bios? if so, reset to defaults and see if you can get booted up.

BTW ... what video card are you using? Got the latest drivers for it? You might be taxing your vid card and causing it to overheat and shutdown on you.

i cant get back into my bios because i cant see what im looking at. all of my visual is gone. the monitor acts as if it isnt plugged into the computer. my vid card is an nvidia geforce fx 5700 250GB. i think what it was i was messing with was some sort of RAID peripherals. there were like 15 different ones. once i hit Save and Exit it instantly cut my video feed. and restarted. please tell me you know what this is and how to fix it. ill be doing some more research.

Back
Top Bottom