printer sharing

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
So I already know how to share a printer over a network, but I'm trying to figure out a different way to do it. I actually have 2 scenarios to figure out...

I'm giving a family I know a second computer for the family to use. I was originally thinking of just using a router and hook their DSL modem to that and hook both systems up to the router and it's any easy printer share from there. But I'm not sure if they want the second system to have access to the internet or not. I have a router or a hub I can give them. If they want internet on the other one, it's easy. If not I'm going to need help on that...

And the second one. A friend asked me about printer sharing so he doesn't have to copy files to his flash drive to print them. I told him to get a wireless router and I can go out and set it up, but forgot he has dialup so that won't work I don't think. Is there a way to set this up wirelessly as the other system is too far away to run a wire... All he needs is printer sharing on this as far as I understand.

Thanks.

a print server. its not an actual server, it looks like a router and it plugs into the printer, and can be picked up as an access point

So I already know how to share a printer over a network, but I'm trying to figure out a different way to do it. I actually have 2 scenarios to figure out...

I'm giving a family I know a second computer for the family to use. I was originally thinking of just using a router and hook their DSL modem to that and hook both systems up to the router and it's any easy printer share from there. But I'm not sure if they want the second system to have access to the internet or not. I have a router or a hub I can give them. If they want internet on the other one, it's easy. If not I'm going to need help on that...

And the second one. A friend asked me about printer sharing so he doesn't have to copy files to his flash drive to print them. I told him to get a wireless router and I can go out and set it up, but forgot he has dialup so that won't work I don't think. Is there a way to set this up wirelessly as the other system is too far away to run a wire... All he needs is printer sharing on this as far as I understand.

Thanks.

I'm not too clear about your 2nd question. As for the first question, maybe you can use a program to lock up internet access. A lot of parental guardian software have that feature.

Second Question:
My friend has to copy files to a flash drive from laptop in another house in the area to go to the house (garage converted office) with the other computer and printer right now. He doesn't want to have to copy the files from a flash drive to print stuff. I was talking to him and told him to get a wireless router and I was thinking the office computer could be the server for the printer and go though the router wirelessly to the laptop in the other house (not far away). But you need a DSL connection connected to a router for it to work correctly right? Considering he only has a dialup connection this idea wouldn't work... So I'm trying to figure out a way that would work wirelessly to connect his printer to his laptop while still having the desktop in the office still connected to the printer.

1st:

That is tricky. I'm not sure why they wouldn't want internet though? Anyway, you could remove IE from the computer (and all other browsers). That would work, depending on how much the kids (I'm assuming it's because of the kids) know about computers. That's about the best solution I could come up with.

2nd:

You should be able to setup a switch/router between both computers without messing up the dial up. The other computer won't have interent, but you should still be able to network the two devices even without the internet plugged into the router.

For the first one, the family is kinda particular on internet usage I think.

I've always had problems with routers if the internet isn't hooked up to it... Is there some special way to do it or is it still just plug and play as long as the systems are on the same workgroup?

Alright, figured out the wireless network w/o an internet connection. Never done it before and I based what I thought would happen on a wired router and figured it would do the same with a wireless since a wired won't work unless an internet connection is present w/o doing some stuff to turn it into a switch.

Back
Top Bottom