primary master and slave are messing up

asiman1

Solid State Member
i have 2 hard drives. before i was running them as primary master and primary slave and the dvd in the secundary master and the burner as a scsi so that one doesnt matter. oen day it somehow fucked up and it decided not to boot. so i played with it. and got it running with the hds on the primary master and secundary master. so just now i opened it up
plugged in both hds as primary master and slave turned it on. it took forever to go in the bios, it said network boot press f12. the jumpers are correctly put in. then i went in the bios and checked it, both hds appeared fine, checked the network boot, it was disabled.

restarted

took again forever then it got out of the startup screen and went to a black screen with the blinking hyphen -

wtf is that?
counting minutes from the beggining
after 1 minute still in startup INTEL screen.
after 2 minutes it wen tto a completely black screen
after 3 minutes the same as above.
after 4 minutes windows xp pro... blablabla
after 5 minutes it loaded the drivers, the mouse turned on
and after 6 minutes it loadded into windows with both hds on the primary

what is making it boot so slow now that i have both in the primary. i mean, the wire cant be overloaded yet, its a 2 year old computer.

its a p4 1.8ghz 512 ram 64mb video. ran perfectly normal. weird.

asiman1 said:
i might just format the mbr, i think that is the problem. aim mE AT asiman8 please

Why not set one as Secondary - then it would work as it should! It could just be trying to sort out the conflict while its booting up. They're not in the same IDE Cable are they? How many Hard Drives do you have?

Hey they are both in the same cable. I cant set it as secundary because the dvd player doesnt have 2 slots in the cable, there is only one from that cable. so the dvd is on the secundary master.

anyhow, back on topic, it says network boot press f12 , for the longest time

affa.jpg

then there is that hyphen blinking on the screen. for about 1 minute and then a black screen. i think its waiting for me to select something from a menu, but theres nothing

[boot loader]
timeout =3
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

thats what i have, should i have someting else?

I have a funny feeling it is just slow at booting; I don't know how old your computer is - about 1.5 Years? I don't think the Network has anything to do with it. Has it suddenly just become slow like this or has it been gradually becoming slower and slower?

If it has just suddenly done this then what were you doing just before it did? I do however think that the likeliest reason is that it has just become slow. My old computer (1.4; not a great deal older than yours) took just about that much time last time I used it - it could just be age.

yeah about that old. another note, i changed the drives to separate cables and there is no more network boot anymore. there is however a slight delay since the bios is done and winodws starts loading.

asiman1 said:
yeah about that old. another note, i changed the drives to separate cables and there is no more network boot anymore. there is however a slight delay since the bios is done and winodws starts loading.
Sounds like it is sorted then!

Back
Top Bottom