Power Supply Issue?

codyman

Solid State Member
A friend of mine brought me his eMachine c2685 computer after it decided to crap out on him. It is a business computer that has NO upgrades and is only used for word processing, excel, etc. not even the internet! Anyways, the computer one day refused to boot. This is what I have tried / noticed:
* Tried new power cord
* When first plugging into wall, I notice that the fan does NOT spin at all, something I have noticed before when I first plug a computer in.
* When you push the power button, nothing happens. No fans, lights anything.
* There is no led lights on on the mobo when it is plugged in.

This leads me to believe its the power supply that has failed. I hear emachines are notorious for this. What are your thoughts on the PS as being the problem?

Well I would say, yeah theres a good chance that thats the problem, just pop in a power supply of equal or more power and try it.

I agree with Computergen, as that definietly seems like it will be the issue.

codyman said:
A friend of mine brought me his eMachine c2685 computer after it decided to crap out on him. It is a business computer that has NO upgrades and is only used for word processing, excel, etc. not even the internet! Anyways, the computer one day refused to boot. This is what I have tried / noticed:
* Tried new power cord
* When first plugging into wall, I notice that the fan does NOT spin at all, something I have noticed before when I first plug a computer in.
* When you push the power button, nothing happens. No fans, lights anything.
* There is no led lights on on the mobo when it is plugged in.

This leads me to believe its the power supply that has failed. I hear emachines are notorious for this. What are your thoughts on the PS as being the problem?

Some emachines use custom PSUs that are placed in different places, so you would probably have to call them up and buy a PSU from Emachine. Which would cost you a lot of money. I would rather just get a new 300 dollar computer off newegg.com or something.

Computergen said:
250W for 50 dollars?!?!?! You can get a stable 420W for 40....

yeah, well he may have to get it straight from emachines, they probably use their own form factor and an aftermarket psu won't fit

you might want to check ebay, you might be able to get a good used one for cheap...or maybe even pick up a whole tower for cheap, you could use for parts.

Well I'm pretty darn sure its the PSU now... just before opening it up, I heard a rattling noise and opened it to find a capacitor just moving around the PSU! I don't know how the hell it came unsaudered, but it was completely out. I put it back in its place, tested voltage, and it is getting 115 volts. However, it still won't start up. This friend is really just a business friend and he wants this computer up and running ASAP so I'll just tell him to fork over the 50 and he'll most likely get it pretty quick cause eMachines HQ is 15 miles up the freeway from us...

Computergen said:
Well I would say, yeah theres a good chance that thats the problem, just pop in a power supply of equal or more power and try it.
I agree with computergen...theres no other problem i can think of that would cause the computer to malfunction like that.

Ahh problem solved. Hooked up another emachine's power supply and the computer worked. Problem solved. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom