Power Requirement

ndatoxicity

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone, i was looking at video card stuff... and i saw this really great deal on an XFX GTX 260 (216)....

its 190 before rebate... but 160 after (30 there) plus cod:waw and farcry 2.... but i looked into the specs, and the power requirements say to have a 630w power supply... where as all the other 260's i have seen need like a 500w.... whats up with this???

would this psu handle this card.... im not sure if im going to get it, but i just want to know

Power Supply

and heres the graphics card

XFX GeForce GTX 260 Core 216

XFX is overstating the power requirements. You should only need at least 500W w/ 36A @ 12V.

That Rosewill should cover it just fine.

yeah see, thats what i was thinking... i was going to say that was WAY overdoing it

thanks AR.... u may close the thread now if u wish

It'll work alright, but it's not the greatest. It's not modular, it's not active, I don't personally like Rosewill that much, that amps on the combined 12 volt rails is just barely enough to run it.

I would suggest this Antec 550 Watt. It's modular, it's active, it's got plenty of amps, it's got free shipping, it's a very reliable brand, and it's got more connections that the Rosewill. It is $25 dollars more, but totally worth it because in it's first month, it'll more than pay for itself in electricity savings since it's an Active PSU.

EDIT: Oh, and I own it so I'm speaking from experience. It's VERY solidly built.

XFX is overstating the power requirements. You should only need at least 500W w/ 36A @ 12V.

That Rosewill should cover it just fine.

Yes, that's true, but you can't add up the rails like that. You need to account for the loss of 2 or 3 amps per rail when they're split up like that. That'll leave him with 30 or so USABLE amps which is just enough to run the card.

i would like to keep the cost on this as low as i can... i dont want my dad to think im trying to get a ton of money from him or anything....

i mean, if you guys think that antec is THAT much better....

i would like to keep the cost on this as low as i can... i dont want my dad to think im trying to get a ton of money from him or anything....

i mean, if you guys think that antec is THAT much better....

I do. I know after buying a Rosewill, I should have gotten an Antec in the first place. Also, it's Active so when your computer is at idle, it will only consume as much as it needs to stay on. The Rosewill will do full power draw from the system all the time. In turn this also makes the PSU hotter.
But trust me, you won't regret spending the extra $25 2 months from now when you save that $25 electricity from the Active feature. ;)

*sigh* ..... alright then

theres no doubt this is a better psu... active, modular, 3 +12v rails, etc etc...... but i mean....

whatever, ill stick with the antec

*sigh* ..... alright then

theres no doubt this is a better psu... active, modular, 3 +12v rails, etc etc...... but i mean....

whatever, ill stick with the antec

Also, because of the extra amps, it will allow for significantly more upgradability than the Rosewill.

I'm don't want to pressuring you into this PSU decision, but you will see improvements in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom