Possilbe PC build. Require some suggestions.

GenoXide said:
I already own F.E.A.R and with my X700 I can play it on medium settings, although the graphics aren't good enough for me! :p So my X700 aint cutting it, and all the good GPUs are in PCI-Express. This is why I need to make the move tp PCI-Express. Although the 7800GS is looking like a promising card. Any suggestions?

My current specifications are as follows...

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz
1 Gigabyte of PC2700 RAM
Radeon X700
Fiber Optic Internet Connection. (Widely available on the East Coast! :p )

So yeah, I got the processing power, RAM amount, and GPU to play it, but, I want to play it at higher settings. So yeah. Any advice/ideas?

Ahh, the great east coast :rolleyes: How is it living over there :p *shrug*

Anyways, Ati is the king, do some searching here. Such as one of Jac006's recent threads. You will see that the X1900XTX is owning it all. As an old member Justin quoted: " It takes quad 7900's to beat two X1900's"

So yeah :D

Well he already got a SLi compatible motherboard, and hes on a low spending budget, i duno its upto him. If only he made a switch to a crossfire compatible motherboard.

I haven't bought ANY parts as of yet. I'm considering the eVGA SLI board, however I may end up buying an Intel 975X chipset so I can get a Conroe when it comes out. I knwo all about the Conroe and what not, I love CPUs. :p In either case, I may end up just getting an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in a few months, that should definetly quinch my thirst for a dual core!

However, the 7900GTX and X1900XT/X, whichever you want, are incredibly expensive, just to have the 7900GTX in SLI cost well over $1000, somethign I am not willing to spend when from what Anandtech and Tom's Hardware along with various others are saying, DirectX 10 being delayed until 07', so that's not to far around the corner, why waste money on somethign that is about to go obsolete?

In either case, if anyone is up to building a 'mock' PC then please do so, any suggestions are welcome. :)

GenoXide said:
I haven't bought ANY parts as of yet. I'm considering the eVGA SLI board, however I may end up buying an Intel 975X chipset so I can get a Conroe when it comes out. I knwo all about the Conroe and what not, I love CPUs. :p In either case, I may end up just getting an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in a few months, that should definetly quinch my thirst for a dual core!

However, the 7900GTX and X1900XT/X, whichever you want, are incredibly expensive, just to have the 7900GTX in SLI cost well over $1000, somethign I am not willing to spend when from what Anandtech and Tom's Hardware along with various others are saying, DirectX 10 being delayed until 07', so that's not to far around the corner, why waste money on somethign that is about to go obsolete?

In either case, if anyone is up to building a 'mock' PC then please do so, any suggestions are welcome. :)
what is ur spending limit on the video card? and make a decision, ati or nvidia? Once you make up which company to go with then you'll know what motherboard to buy which is either a SLi motherboard (for nvidia) or a Crossfire ready motherboard (ati). If you are willing to buy a really good video card as an alternative i would recommend the eVGA Geforce 7600GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130284) with a core clock of 600MHz and a memory clock of 1560MHz, and its SLi ready. If your going for a ATI card i would suggest a SAPPHIRE Radeon X1800XT for a awesome alternative (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102629 ) and it has a core clock of 625MHz and a memory speed of 1500MHz.

if u go nvidia/sli, get the 7600gt. it's pretty cheap and is really good for its price.
if u go ati/c.fire, get something in the x1600 or x800 series. they can be crossfired the most easily/cheaply.

if u go with AMD for the processor: dont get the Athlon64 3000 right now. save up a little bit and get a dual core. for that u should look at x2's and opterons. they are pretty much the same price.

I've thougth about this build many times, and I've come to this conclusion...

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813186059

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130011

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103537

The 7600GS is a good card, the only thing it doesn't have against the GT model is clock speeds, however, this is easy to fix, with a simple overclock, the thing wil be flashed to a GT, saves me money. ;)

Not to mention, the motherboard supports everythgin i currently have in my PC, which is great. The processor isn't that good, but it doesn't have to be as I'll be makign the switch to the X2 here very soon after, or, I'll try to at least.

In either case, this build did not have to be all-out or anythign, just a simple conversion from AGP to PCI-Express. And it delivers that without a problem, and on a serious budget.

I chose SLI over CrossFire mainly because the 7600GS is cheap, and performs very well. I would have gone with the 512MB X1600 Pro, however, I didn't want tp spend $20 more on it, so it saves me money, and that's less hours I have to work, which is always a nice thing. :)

GenoXide said:
I didn't want tp spend $20 more on it, so it saves me money, and that's less hours I have to work, which is always a nice thing. :)
haha. min wage is killing me. 6.75/hr

Minimum wage for us is $7.50 an hour. It's nice. :)

I'm thinking I may want to purchase my parts now, I want to use PCI-Express right now, I'm tired of AGP and it's slow bandwidth. Plus, all the good video cards are on PCI-Express, so this is even more insentive to purchase a PCI-Express motherboard, preferably SLI or CrossFire.

I'm definetly getting the 7600GS though and OCing it to 7600GT speeds. Saves me money, so it's all good. :)

Back
Top Bottom