port forwarding I need help

theshadowxx

In Runtime
Hey Im trying to forward port 6112 for a video game, I've forwarded to port in my linksys router, but when I try to see if its open using portforward.com's PFPortChecker program, it says the port is closed?! how come, I've tried setting up a Static IP. (not sure if I did it right, but it still doesn't work...) anyone help me out?! just tell me what specifics you need to know

is there anything listening on port 6112 when you are running the test?

what'd you mean is it listening?! when I use PFPortChecker to see if its open, the program says its not.

you have to go to control panel and click internet/networks

manage connections

right click LAN

properties

internet protocol version 4(tcp/ipv4)

click the options use the following IP addresses and use the following DNS sever addresses

you can find the information of ip address, subnet mask default gateway and preferred dns server through command prompt

type in cmd in run box and then type in ipconfig

what I mean is what does the program that you use to check that the port is open count as the port being open?

I mean for all intent and purpose if a port is open but there is no program listening on that port, it looks like the port might be closed to some scanners,

basically by listening, I meant listening for a query and providing a response.

for example a web server listens on port 80, when your browser makes a response for a page on port 80, the server response by sending out information.

if might be that the port scanner that you used thinks that the port is down because the game is not running, and thus there is nothing listening on the port, and it looks like it's closed.

6112 is generally WarCraft 3.

--

Try this:
Under port-forwarding, create a service and call it WC3. On this service choose an IP address that none of your current computers are using. Set the port range to 6112-6118. If you can't do that, then just use port 6112. Once done:

Go to Network Connections.
Right click your current connection (LAN or High Speed Internet, not the gateway).
Go to properties.
Under general, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
Click on it and go to properties.
Click on "Use the following IP address:"
For IP address, type in the same one you typed on the service.

Now, go to "Run" and type "cmd". Then type "ipconfig /all"

Take note of the following items:
-Subnet Mask (usually 255.255.255.0)
-Default Gateway (usually 192.168.1.1)
-DNS Servers

Input these in the remaining boxes on the Internet Protocol TCP/IP properties box.

So right now, you have just selected an IP address which forwards the ports 6112-6118 (if you used a range of ports). You have also set your computer to use this IP address. So when you play, the ports will be forwarded.

If this DOES NOT work, then you probably have a modem or another router which adds another gateway (it "masks" your IP addresses) to the internet. So what am I saying? I'm saying that the ports you forward from the linksys router are not necessarily forwarded through the other router or modem, thus they get masked and you can host.

Also, if you run Windows Firewall, make sure to add WarCraft III as an exception or completely turn it off when you try to host.

Back
Top Bottom