Plugged Wrong Power Cord Into External Hard Drive

kevinmuf

Baseband Member
I plugged the wrong power cord into my external hard drive, it turned on, then off, and smelled kinda funny. I believe the hard drive's power source is fried now. So if i take the casing apart, is my hard drive that is inside any good anymore? Would it be able to be put into a computer? Anything?

I doubt it since it's connected to the power source

How many volts was the power cord compared to the external hard drive

not really sure, havent checked it out. But i know the origional cord does not work now, so im guessing its fried. I am able to get the hard drive out, and its got two connections on it. Not sure if it would be able to mount into a computer or anything?

Yep, ring hit the nail on the head. External drive enclosures just have a cheap little interface board to translate IDE/SATA to USB, they usually fry pretty easily. Chances are that's all that fried so the drive should be alright.

You can get enclosures on Newegg.

First thing I would do is take it out of the enclosure and put it in your PC to make sure it works before you spend money on an enclosure.

Dude, if you're having this problem now, a girlfriend is just going to complicate things some more.

Back
Top Bottom