Please Step by step on how to set up wireless networking

darkserpant

In Runtime
I was having huge problems with trying to get my laptop hooked up with my wirelss home network. I messed with setting I guess I shouln'nt of, so I reformated my laptop back to day one so I could start over cause I could'nt figure it out from where I was. Now could somebody please help me out and help me step by step and set up my home network. I am very new to the computer technology so please forgive me when I say "what did you mean" Anyway this is the equipment I have. Laptop(HP dv6449) cable modem(motorola SB5101) Router(LINKSYS WRT54G) The Comcast cable line comes in from the wall to the modem, then I have an ethernet going from the the modem to the router then an ethernet to my desktop. Now I want to get my laptop so I can use it all over the house. Could somebody please instruct me on what to do next. I have to go to work this morning for a little, but I will be back probally in about 6 hours. Just incase you guys help, I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you. I will check back as soon as I come in the door. Thanks a million.

The first question I have is, does the laptop have a wireless adapter? I see that it has built in Bluetooth wireless, but that won't allow you to connect to your Linksys WRT54G.

OK, quick question. Does the desktop connect to the internet? If it doesn't, make sure the cable from modem is going to the "Internet" port on the router, and the cable going to your computer will go in any of the other four ports on back.

Now for wireless. Your router has three ways of setting up wireless. You can use the CD that came with it, the little CISCO button on the front is supposed to be a quick wireless setup (I'm not sure how well that works), or you can set it up manually through the web browser. I believe the IP for the web-browser should be 192.168.0.1, but it could be 192.168.1.1 default username and password are both "admin".

Let me know what way you want to set up the wireless, and I can help you though. I just don't wanna remote log onto my sister's computer to double check the location of the settings if you are not comfortable doing the web-browser setup.

Ours is 192.168.1.1

But that's the million dollar question is if your laptop has built in wireless networking capability. That Linksys looks like it's the wireless model. It can also hook up to cable ethernet too which looks like that's how you have it with your current desktop PC.

If your laptop does have wireless bult in, you just have to enable it by flipping the switch to "on" somewhere on the outside of your laptop or by the keyboard. Also what operating system are you using? Next, you want to connect to a network.

Did you want a pure home network with Internet sharing or just plain Internet sharing?

Wow, hold on guys not some many questions at once. Yes the laptop has wireless built in. I was surfing the net with it already but I accidently changed some of the settings and could'nt figure out how to fix them. So I recovered the computer with recovery discs so I could start from scratch. So here I am ready to listen to all of you guys. I don't know what a wireless adapter is. And how do I find out what my web browser is? I guess I'll set it up manually since I probally don't have a wireless adapter. What about an ethernet going from the laptop to the router? I don't have a router disk neither. So where do I start? thanks

If your laptop already has wireless built in, you don't need a wireless adapter. It's only for those PCs that doesn't have a wireless Internet capability.

Web browser is sort of irrelevant when connecting to the Net, but most people use Internet Explorer since it's built in with Windows OS. It's that big logo with a lower case "e". You can find it when you go to the Start Button. It will say "Internet Explorer" next to it.

If you want to hook up the laptop to the router through Ethernet, you have to check to see if there's a big fat telephone looking jack (RJ-45) somewhere on the outside of the laptop. Then you'll need an extra Ethernet cable to plug it into the back of the router (from your laptop).

Then if you were to plug the cable directly from the laptop to the router, your Internet should be instantly connected.

Unless if your firewall is blocking Internet Explorer (your web browser) :p.

Ok I have internet that way. But can you help me be able to go wireless so I can go around the house like it was set up before? Thanks

Your laptop should've picked up the wireless signal from the router by now. Hmmm, from what you've posted above, this is the router you have:

LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

Are you sure your laptop has wireless turned on? It's usually a button somewhere where you have to manually enable it. My Dell laptop came with the wireless "off". I flipped it "on" and it worked.

If it is "on", you need to connect to your network which is through your router. Are you running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Either way, you need to go to Start button/Control Panel/Network and Internet/Connect to a network.

You'll see a bunch of other networks that show up. Click on the one that has the maximum signals (which will likely be your router--it will be labeled as Linksys I think) and double click on that to connect.

For Windows XP:

Right-click the wireless network icon in the lower-right corner of your screen, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

The Wireless Network Connection window should appear and you should see your wireless network listed with the network name you chose. If you don't see your network, click Refresh network list in the upper-left corner. Click your network, and then click Connect in the lower-right corner.

Windows XP prompts you to enter a key. Type the encryption key that you wrote down earlier in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes, and then click Connect.

Windows XP will show its progress as it connects to your network. After you're connected, you can now close the Wireless Network Connection window. You're done.

Back
Top Bottom