Please Help with New PC

Grandiosevision

Solid State Member
I just got a new Systemax computer with Win XP, AOL "Optimized"...Anyway I was very disapp. because I got it primarily to run my newer PC games and the ram is already loaded with background programs. It will just quit some games that It MORE than exceeds minimum requirements on, saying there is not enough memory space! Even my current computer with win 98 which is roughly 6 yrs old will run those same games!!! I've already tried simplifying the number of running programs and desktop options. I'm pretty sure the problem is with windows xp and/or combined with "essential" background programs which are running. What should I do?? If I return it I'm out 40 american for an "open box fee", If I keep it I can look forward to this kind of thing all the time. Well...I was thinking of just trying to install win me or 98 onto the system because it does have a 2.0 gig hard drive with 250 ram, which is double the ram I currently have and more than quadruple my current processing power, but I'm not sure this is such a good idea. I can't believe it doesn't even keep up with my old computer...what are my options?? Plz respond. P.s. Brits rock.

Well the ram is letting you down their, try upgrading and what does the brits rule mean??

I don't know what a GB is...and I don't understand why 128 ram will run a game slowly on my old comp. but 256 won't run it AT ALL on a new one. I know that win 98 has fewer backround programs running but still...I mean, come on...it won't even try to run it. Can't I just put win 98 or me on the new computer??

Yes u can put Win 98 or ME in the new pc. And you really should have more ram than 256. Oh and GB=1024. (as in amount of ram.)

Thanks daemon, got it! I'm still not sure which way I will go but atleast I know my options. Am I correct in assuming that 1) it is programmed into WIN XP to kick out games that are taking up too much video memory. and 2) if I put win me or 98 on there it will resolve this matter for now. As I can't yet afford all the upgrades I want..

Back
Top Bottom