Please help me out

Bagzli

Baseband Member
Hello,

Once again i run in a problem and offcourse i came back to the best forums for help :)

My desktop acer pc is not runing properly. When i start it up normally it freezes up when i start doing stuff after a bit of time and then after it shuts off (I think) and it tries to boot itself from a disk, I forget the exact message i get but it says i need to put in a cd and restart. I restart without putting a cd and it starts normally then starts freezing up when i try to use explorer mostly.

I think its trying to boot itself from a cd.

Bottom line everything is runing very slow and it freezes up. I have done system recovery and put the pc back to its default state but the problem is still there. I need an advice on what I should do now.

Computer is purchased in may 2010 and here is a link to all of its specs.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...ne&category=desktop-computers&product=2511847

ok i got the exact error now:

CD-ROM Boot Priority ..No Mdeium
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selectedBoot device and press a key

I kinda sounds like your hard drive may be going out. It appears as though it may not be detected properly at startup intermittently. That might explain why your machine keeps trying to boot from the CD. You should run chkdsk /f on your hard drive and see if it comes back with any errors (and hopefully fixes them).

heres a new update, now it doesnt want to start at all. It shows me the start like press F12 for boot menu and that and then it goes black after that and nothing is goign on.

I think you may be right that my hard drive is not working anymore. or whatever the proper terminology is, any ideas on how much for new one?

I did a system restore again and my pc is turned on right now, but it wont let me do the disk check, i typed in cmd chkdsk /f but it says:

"Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privilieges
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."

I dont know too much about pc's but when buying drive do certain stats have to match for example like DDR3 and what not? I just want to check if the 2 drives you guys linked me are going to work fine on my pc and also i have no sweet clue on how you install this, any ideas on this?

To run Command Prompt in elevated mode go to Start\All Programs\Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator". As for installing a hard drive, it's pretty easy. There will be instructions with the hard drive. The big question is did your PC come with a recovery disk? You will need that in order to install the operating system (and all the software that came with your PC). You should still see if your PC is still covered under a warranty, though. Why spend any money if you don't have to?

my pc should have come with 1 year manufacturer warranty but i really do not want to spend a month waiting for them to fix it and send it back. As for recovery disk no i never gotten one so I guess im screwed when it comes to me buying and installing myself. I called up staples they said they would do it for 170$ along with the instalation of my old windows and software. Any ideas if I should go with this or is there a better alternative to my problem?

And thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it.

You could buy an OEM system builders version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit for about $100, another 1TB hard drive for around $80 (maybe less) and do it yourself. This way you could upgrade your OS from Vista (7 is way better in my opinion anyways). You would have to reinstall all of your applications from CD or whatever, of course. I would just use the warranty, but I have way more time than money nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom