please help me out

biggjoee5790

In Runtime
ok im looking to buy a new computer mainly for gaming but i have a tight budget... heres one i found

Gateway 554GE, Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ Hyper Threading, 1GB DDR RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD Burner, ATI Radeon X300SE 128 MB Video Card.

the price for this is $574.99.
do you think this will have the power to play games such as HAlf life 2 and doom 3? how long will it be before this system is to slow to run the newest games? the main debate im having is the processor, will it be fast enough?

The SE on the vid card model name normally means some of the functions are disabled or just not there. I'd get them to kick in a non SE or LE type vid card to seal the deal. Might raise the price a tad. Just tell em if they want to make the sale kick in the vid card.
Now as for the P4 3.2ghz w/hyper threading, it will be plenty to play games. The gig of ram looks good too.
Some of the guys here will tell you to go with an AMD for gaming but the P4 3.2 will do just fine. Oh and one last thing. Make sure of the warranty you get. Read the fine print. If there is something you don't like or don't understand, get it straight BEFORE you lay your money down. After is too late...

The X300 is the lowest X-series card there is.

Before it's too slow? Your looking at low settings already, if not lower!

if you want a gaming computer you should probably go with AMD instead of Intel.. ur going to need a better video card also..

ok.. i figured the video card wouldnt be to good. but lets say i replaced the video card with something like the best 128 mb ati radeon (i dont remember the model name, i think its the 9800 pro).. would that be enough to run any game at optimum settings? or will i have to sacrifice by lowering graphics options? i dont want to have to sacrifice graphics due to the game lagging, i want it to run smooth and be at high resolutions and all that stuff.

9800 probably wouldnt be able to run games like HL2 and Doom3 at high settings.. if you want optimal settings you should go with something like the 6800GS

ok... so lets say i get this computer and put like an unbelievabley great graphics card in it. will the other components be enough (ram, processor speed) for these types of games, or will i need more than just a great video card? i pretty much need to know if the processor and ram are ok.. cause its no big deal to get a new video card and install it.. its the processor im worried about

oo i also forgot to mention the processor number is 540. so its a pentium 4 540 3.2 ghz. im not sure what the 540 means but i wanted to add that in

i just found another computer.. its has the same Ram, Hard drive, OS, etc as the first one i posted.. the only difference is the processor. it has a
AMD Athlon 3400+ 2.4 Ghz. do you think this is better than the pentium 4 540 3.2 GHz? remember every other component is the same

3400 wins hands down in games, but you will have to get a new video card i suggest a 6600 GT, or a 6800gs if u have more money or the 800gto etc.etc. and if u can truly dis hout some money get the 7800gt or even the 7800gtx

Back
Top Bottom