Perfect Gaming Desktop?

solrepiri

Solid State Member
Well my birthday is coming up soon and I wanted a gaming desktop to play games much better than they do on my laptop. Unfortunately I don't know what should go into a gaming desktop, could anyone recommend what parts I should put into the desktop for top performance for all Steam games and computer games.

It all depends on the resolution your going to be playing at.

But the emphasis will be on the graphics card. And right now the GTX 460 is the absolute minimum you wanna look at.

It all depends on the resolution your going to be playing at.

But the emphasis will be on the graphics card. And right now the GTX 460 is the absolute minimum you wanna look at.

Absolute minimum? No. Especially for the majority of games on steam.

Well my birthday is coming up soon and I wanted a gaming desktop to play games much better than they do on my laptop. Unfortunately I don't know what should go into a gaming desktop, could anyone recommend what parts I should put into the desktop for top performance for all Steam games and computer games.

Do you have a budget we can work with to help you out?

Budget is $1000-$2100 well not the perfect desktop per say, but atleast well enough so I can play games to their full potential if. Hopefully that makes sense.

Well if you want a high end gaming rig, Reminez is right... the emphasis will be on the graphics card. But you also dont want to forget about having a good amount of memory (RAM) and a beastly CPU. Here are a few rules to go buy when looking for desktop parts for gaming:

CPU:
try to get something at least clocked at 3 GHZ and a multiple core processor for sure. I myself have a AMD phenom 2 955 clocked at 3.2 ghz and that things awesome for running games. Its a beastly quad core. Idk much about Intel processors but I guess the i7 is where its at for gaming. I would do some research into amd and intel and see what suits you best.

Memory:
DDR 3, low latency, and a decent clock (1600 mhz) at least 4 GB

Graphics Card:
This is where it gets kinda messy, finding a good card is hard but you said "perfect" gaming machine so try to get something that has at least 1GB of memory GDDR5 preferably, PCI express 2.0 and at the very least 800 processor cores.

You also want to make sure you have a good motherboard that supports all your parts and a good hard drive (1TB?) to store all your game files on. Games these days are huge! Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks that does help, I was thinking of an Nvidia graphics card, because that's a recommended graphics card for alot of steam games. Is that a graphics card I can rely on?

To be fair with a budget of $1000-$2100 the world is your oyster and both ATI and nVidia provide excellent high-end GPU solutions.

CPU? Intel or AMD will work for you.

GPU? Well if I had a budget like that for a gaming machine i'd want at least a HD 5870. But me being me would consider the HD5970. Other's may disagree.

And as mentioned previously 4GB/6GB 1600Mhz RAM with a quad core CPU and a 750W PSU and your done.

Just wrap it all up in a nice case.

To be fair with a budget of $1000-$2100 the world is your oyster and both ATI and nVidia provide excellent high-end GPU solutions.

CPU? Intel or AMD will work for you.

GPU? Well if I had a budget like that for a gaming machine i'd want at least a HD 5870. But me being me would consider the HD5970. Other's may disagree.

And as mentioned previously 4GB/6GB 1600Mhz RAM with a quad core CPU and a 750W PSU and your done.

Just wrap it all up in a nice case.

a 5970 would be half of his budget. I'd go with either a 5870 or a gtx 470, whichever he can find for a lower price. I'd also suggest the US version of NCIX.com. They pricematch pretty much everything and they ship very quickly (I ordered last night and it was shipped this morning)

Back
Top Bottom