pentium D compatible?

d52477001

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,
Just over a year ago I bought a packard bell computer, and last week it suddenly stopped working. When i hit the power switch, everything runs for about 1/10th of a second and then nothing. I contacted support, and they said that my cpu was probably fried, so now i have to replace it.
There was a Pentium 4 540 in it, these are my mobo specs:

Specifications
Form Factor
µATX 24.4 cm x 24.4 cm Form Factor
CPU Support
Socket LGA775
Support Intel® Pentium® Hyper - Threading technology with FMB Performance 2005 support
Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in a LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus, 2.8Ghz to 3.8 GHz or higher.
Support for an Intel® Celeron® processor in a LGA775 socket with a 533 MHz system bus, 2.8 GHz or higher.
System Memory
Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets.
Serial Presence Detect
Support for single-sided or double-sided DIMMs (DDR 333 / DDR400)
Support for up to 4 GB system memory
Non-ECC RAM (ECC memory will run in non-ECC mode)
Single and dual channel mode operation:
Single channel mode with single DIMM, non-symmetrical population or non-identical DIMMs
Dual channel mode with 2 or 4 identical DIMMs, populated symmetrically
Core Logic (Chipset)
The Intel 915P chipset
I/O controller:
ITE IT8712F-A
Fire Wire controller
The Texas Instrument (TSB43AB23)
Audio Chipset
Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC880 audio codec.
Ethernet Controller
Realtek RTL8100C PCI/Mini-PCI Single-Chip Fast Ethernet Controller
Power Management
10 Mbps, 10 Base-T and 100 Mbps 100 Base-TX support

Now I cant find a Pentium 4 540 or 541 anywhere, so i though i would for for a Pentium D. What I was wondering is whether a pentium D is compatible with this computer?
If it isnt I am kinda screwed as I will have to upgrade my mobo as well because I''ve been in a multitude in shops and all say they cant provide the 540 or 541 pentium 4.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the assistance..

I don't know, but there are other Pentium 4 CPUs on the market that will fit.
And to the problem, the Power supply seems dead, not the CPU. What kind of people are they? :rolleyes:

Yeah, my first thought was power supply too, so immediately went out and bought a new power supply..nada, still the same problem. I stripped everything out of the computer except the essentials, and the problem is still there, so it has to be either the psu, the cpu or the mobo. Seeing as i replaced the psu, it has to be either the cpu or the mobo. This is when i contacted support to see if the had had this problem before, but the only conclusion they came to was that the cpu was fried.

Any recommendations on a good Pentium 4 processor? The shops I went to didnt have any pentium 4 processors, but maybe I can get lucky with an online shop..

great! I have sent them an email to confirm if it is in stock.
Though seeing as its not 100% sure that the processor is the problem, I am considering diving into my savings and buying a new mobo and cpu, especially with these juicy core 2 duo's out now.. *drool*

Well, the PSU might be a bad one..the one you bought.

Although, I doubt the CPU is really the Problem. I'd consider bringing it to another PC, or your friend's or even the local shop. Try that if you can. If their PC boots up, the motherboard is the trouble.

lhuser said:
Well, the PSU might be a bad one..the one you bought.

Although, I doubt the CPU is really the Problem. I'd consider bringing it to another PC, or your friend's or even the local shop. Try that if you can. If their PC boots up, the motherboard is the trouble.

Yeah, good point, I'll ask a friend if i can try my cpu out.

Though tbh i wouldnt mind getting an upgrade, ive had a look at my bank account and have about 400 euro to spend :D
This puts the Core 2 Duo E6400 in my budget, and leaving just under 200 euro for a motherboard. Would there be a really significant jump in performance to what I have now?

Yes, there will be a significant performance increase. However you can't compare clock speeds of a Core 2 Duo and a Pentium D, especially an old P4. A Conroe E6400 may not be as high as far as clock speed goes for the Pentium D or the P4, but the Conroe E6400 in some case will smoke a Pentium D 950. In most cases however you will see a 25-50% performance increase, even more with a E6600, E6700, and the E6800.

Also, the old Pentium D/P4 gets about twice as hot the Conroe E4600 under idle or full load. Because of this, all Core 2 Duo processors can easily be overclocked with the stock heatsink/fan and a descent motherboard to 25% or more. To compare that with a Pentium D, one would need a Pentium D of almost 6.2Ghz to achieve that same speed!

When I made my dad's Prescott system, I was a n00b and forgot to plug in the cord that actually POWERS the CPU.. but everything did turn on.. fans, hard drives, cd roms, you name it!

Quite honestly, I don't think the CPU has ANYTHING to do with whether a PSU will turn on or not.

Back
Top Bottom