PC takes a dump after several hours.

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
A few weeks ago I added a new XFX 6600 256MB (dumped the GF4 4600Ti) to my old rig:

Athlon 1800
1gb Ram
350W Enermax PSU

I was ecstatic having my benchmark go from 1450 in 3DMark03 to 4500+. 3 times now though, after 4/5 hours of gaming, the monitor has gone into stand-by mode. The PC sounds like it is rebooting but nothing appears on the screen. If I turn it off and on again, it will function as normal but will quit not too long after.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it seemed to go away for a while.

I've heard that these XFX cards don't have the best HS/fans and that they sometimes go out (esp on the 6600GT version). The fan on there is at least still working, I took off the side of the case and have a personal fan blowing in there in case heat is the problem. No problems last night with a longer WOW session but it is so inconsistent that I can't be sure.

Do you think it could be the PSU? My buddy is only running a 350W with an X800 and Athlon 3200 and has no problems, he doesn't think the PSU is an issue.

i think that its the psu. enermax isnt a very good brand. i had one that did almost the same thing, except mine lasted only about 5 hours at a time, in short spurts. i would suggest getting an aspire psu. i have one and its never shut off ever since i put it in. I got my 520 watt for around $50

I agree with killzoneman0, probably the psu. Try to get a new one, I would think 400W or so, maybe a bit more to be safe.

And get a new processor!

My Dad's comp has that exact processor and it can barely run and he doesn't have games and crap on it!

Back
Top Bottom