PC randomly shut off and won't turn on!

turbopenguin

Beta member
Hey guys,

I've encountered a very strange problem with my pc. My computer has been running smoothly without a hitch since I built it (about 2-3 months), but today it randomly shut off and will not turn back on. It happened while I was playing the old republic and I unplugged my usb mouse, not sure if that has to do with it or is purely coincidental.

When I try to press the power button I hear a click like noise. I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from, but I think it's coming from or near the power supply. Also, when I hit the power button my blue LED fan flashes for a millisecond.

Also, when the psu is switched on, the case light turns on (a single blue LED). signaling it's receiving power?

I figured it was a psu issue, since it's about 6-7 years old, so I went out and bought a new one, but am still having the same exact issue. I have no idea what's going on.

I've taken out the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, put back in, no luck.
took out the video card, no luck.
took out a stick of ram, nothing.
unplugged all power except the main 24 pin connection and the cpu connection, and am still having the same issue.

My only guess is the motherboard is fried. No lights come on at all on the mobo.

Here are my specs:

cpu - intel 2500k, hyper 212 cooler
Mobo - biostar tz68+
gpu - gtx 550ti
psu - cooler master g lite 460w (new) ocz (old) not sure exact specs atm
case - antec 400

No lights on the motherboard? I thought their was..

Also, when the psu is switched on, the case light turns on (a single blue LED). signaling it's receiving power?

I figured it was a psu issue, since it's about 6-7 years old, so I went out and bought a new one

My only guess is the motherboard is fried. No lights come on at all on the mobo.

Doesn't it seems like it's the PSU still? I'm not 100% sure but it's just the way you explained it, that or the mobo is out

to clarify, no lights on the mother board turn on, but a light on the case turns on when the psu is turned on.

the old psu in there was a 700w OCZ. I was thinking that one failed so I bought a new psu (460w). Is it possible that the old OCZ(700w) failed and the new PSU (460w) is just not enough that it won't even power up the system?

umm, yes it could be, take the graphics card out and use the default onbored one , i hope that's what you have, make sure you take the card out.. graphics card requires a large partion of the watt.. most of the watt is vis graphics card :eek: mine uses alot.. it requires 550 mine(not the whole card, with the card and the pc components) and I had a 450 before that and it eventually clocked off.. the lights turned on still but the PSU just didn't turn my PC on..

Have you tried taking it alll to bits.. bit by bit.. and put the mobo on the metal case of your pc.. try that.. that's what I had to do to check mine, take out 1 memory card also just to make sure it isn't a memory shorting the power incase it blew a memory slot.

Give it a shot, you might solve it

Tip: Fuse for the plug, test the moniters plug to your pc as mostly their the same .. try that also , could be the fuse :eek:

Give that a go and let me know how it goes, I'm at work, so I'll check back at the office computer on my brake in 2hours , 4oclock gmt

so if you still haven't I'll think of other things until we draw our attention that it's a problem with some hardware, lets not give up to easy :) I almost gave up on mine.. spend 30pound on a new PSU and still wouldn't turn on.. eventually after 30mins I figured it was a faulty memory slot.. which I fixed somehow.. lol and now it works

ok, I just took everything apart and put the mobo on top of the case. I took one ram card out and plugged in the 24 pin power connector, turned the power on and nothing happened.

EDIT: there's signs of life! I just plugged in the power switch for the case, and now when I press the power button the psu fan spins for a little over a second. I plugged in a case fan and it does the same thing too.

all thats plugged in right now is one stick of ram, the case power switch, and the 24 pin connector

Sounds to me like your motherboard died. Since the psu is new you can rule that out because it would at least power up, even with a 460w.

got a new motherboard and the system is now powering up!

It's just one issue after the next it seems. When windows boots up and you first see those little circles that come together to make the windows logo, it's going like in slow motion, not fluid at all, and then it just hangs on the "starting windows" screen for an eternity.

I've tried to boot from safe mode, but it just freezes. I probably waited 10 minutes for that.

Now I'm trying to reinstall windows on an .iso dvd and the same thing is happening.
This is so frustrating!

btw new motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V LX

edit: after about 10 minutes of waiting at the "starting windows" screen, the install windows wizard just popped up. I guess it's working, just 10x slower than it should. What could that possibly mean? Anything to do with the hdd? It's about 6-7 years old too (a seagate barracuda 320gb 7200 rpm). I would think it has nothing to do with the hard drive because it's booting from the dvd drive.

Back
Top Bottom