PC kept shutting off on me. now won't even turn on?

I have a HP Pavilion 7850. I upgraded it to Windows XP Professional about a week and a half ago. Then starting yesterday night it started to shut down on me all of the sudden. Every time I boot it up it stays on for 3 minutes then it cuts off. Now today it won't even turn on. There's a green light that is on in the back of the PC by the power cord. What's wrong with my PC?
I have a pavilion 7920 that has a problem similar to that. It doesn't turn on by itself, but when you go to shut it down, xp shuts down then it goes to a black screen and just sits there still running infinitely until you cut the power. The power button won't even kill it. Then, when you go to start it back up, you push the power button and nothing happens. Then when it decides it wants to start up, then one of the cd-rom lights stays on all the time and the pc just sits there with just the fans running and nothing else till you cut the power again. Then it will boot up perfectly normal as if nothing happens at all.

It's a pretty strange problem and one I've attempted to get help with. I initially thought it was the power supply and replaced that, but it still happened. I'm thinking it's a motherboard problem but I'm not going to spend the money to replace the motherboard, especially since I just bought a new hp rig 3 days ago. As of yet I haven't found a solution, I really don't know what to tell you, I'm in the same boat.

You could try rolling back and installing your version of Windows to whatever you had prior to XP. Then you could find out if it was the upgrade that caused the symptoms or if it's hardware malfunctioning. Like TB said, it does sound like a mobo problem (since it controls how/when to shut off/turn on the power and whatnot) but since you said you recently upgraded, that sounds fishy.

It could just be a heat problem. See if you can somehow install and check out RealTemp. If you feel confident, take off the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste.

It could just be a heat problem. See if you can somehow install and check out RealTemp. If you feel confident, take off the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste.

You know, I didn't think about that, but that could be. XP could've taxed his system a great deal more than the previous version of Windows, so you could be right. I'd give that a shot...In fact, you might wanna see if there's even a fan ON the heatsink; older computers will a lot of times just have a HS and no fan.

If he's getting random reboots etc, my money is on the PSU.

If it was just overheating, he would at least be able to power it on instead of it just sitting there.

Do you have another PSU you can test with?

the first problem I see here is that no fans turn on, it's pretty hard for the computer to stay on if the cpu is overheating, and that doesn't take but a few seconds...

he needs to check his cpu fan first, then go from there, fans do die, not the gruesome, horrible "cut the red wire" induced deaths explained above, but they do sometimes die...

I'm going to second a few people here and say that it's most likely heat or a bad psu. For all we know, the psu is getting enough power to turn on that green light and that's it.

Question regarding the light. Is it flashing or solid? If it's flashing, the psu is bad.

Ok, then the odds of it being a bad PSU are less likely, but still possible. Clean out your system and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom