PC 6400 vs PC2 6400

Larisa

In Runtime
I need to upgrade my memory. I've been shopping around and have a question.

My old memory is Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory. But all the memory is see now is PC2 6400.

Is PC 6400 and PC2 6400 compatible? By that I mean are they interchangeable and can I replace my PC 6400 with PC2 6400?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Larisa

Last edited:
A little confusion here Larisa. You claimed that your memory is a PC-6400 but the link you posted of the memory you have is a PC2-6400.

What do you really have?

Download and run Speccy then post the memory report for us.

Since your motherboard supports DDR2 I believe your memory is a PC2-6400 but let's be sure. :)

Last edited:
I don't think you do Larisa. PC-6400 is DDR, not DDR2. Your motherboard support DDR2 memory so you get PC2-6400.

Okay, thanks for that information ... but are they interchangeable (PC 6400 and PC2 6400)?

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Currently I have 4 1GB sticks. Can I replace 2 of these sticks with 2 GB sticks made from a different manufacturer?

The "PC" naming convention doesn't seem to be particularly standard, as people are always putting typos, computer shops/online retailers are particularly bad at mixing this up.

If you have a DDR2 board, put DDR2 RAM in it regardless of the PC/PC2 question, as long as the motherboard says it supports the capacity and speed of the RAM then it's all good.

Yes you should be able to replace the sticks with varying capacity/manufacturer, the RAM will no longer work in dual channel mode (or quad depending on the motherboard), but practically you won't really feel the difference.

Back
Top Bottom