Partition problem... AARRGGHH!!!

bigbondfan

In Runtime
I have a western digital sata 200gb hard drive. it's been working perfect for the first couple of months, but it suddenly seems to be dying... I've googled the problem... but no luck :(

i have 2 hard drives... both have xp on. if i try to load either xp with my sata hd plugged in, windows asks me whether i want to boot in safe mode, after that, the computer just reboots after displaying a blue screen for a split second (something to do with ntfs.sys). Safe mode gets to mup.sys, then reboots. if i unplug my sata hd, xp boots just fine... so the sata hd is the problem :(

i've gone into suse linux and found the reason for the problems is a partition (sda3) on the sata hard disk. well, that's ok, since it's a useless partition anyway... so i'll just delete that partition... BUT... suse installer or YaST will not allow me to format that partition! I cannot load the windows installer cd because the computer will just reboot... so my sata hard drive seems to be royally screwed...

So i need a way i can delete/format/repair the problem partition... it is a 1.8gb partition (FAT16 - had win95 on), but i'm not bothered about the resulting partition type (fat, ntfs, reisereifs etc...).

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem? I would need some sort of partitioning tool that starts on boot up (from cd or something)... preferably free.

Thanks

Can you by any chance boot the SATA hard disc when the computers booting with the Windows XP disc? And then format and delete partitions from there?

thanks for the responce!

no, i've tried that - the computer says it's scanning the hdds, then just reboots. i can access the hdd in suse linux... all my docs are there... but the broken partition is unccessible and suse won't let me format it. hmm...

Hmm weird...

Tried a bootdisc to read it by any chance? Floppy drive will be needed of course...i think :p

well i tried the windows 98 boot disk... but the only disks available are the a: (floppy drive) and b: (ramdrive)... no hdd drives :(

when you pressed the f8 button to get to the menu screen that had the safe mode option, have you tried high lighting the option (last boot configure that worked) ?

yes i've tried that too... no luck. it's a problem with hardware, not software, so is suspected this wouldn't work anyway.

worse luck is that i can't just take my hdd down to out local computer shop... they went bust last month :(

any other suggestions?

there are many linux live cd out there with Partition Tools on them I dont know of any that I can recommend but I think that would be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom