overclocking AMD athlon xp?

thecheat

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm new here, and I've been wondering about overclocking in general for a while, and love "tweaking" things. One of those people that, if you give me a pen, it's going to be taken apart.

But anyways, I'm trying to do my research first before I go kill something and start pulling out the cash to replace it, so, here I am!

down to business, (if I'm doing this in the wrong forum, please, move the topic)

I've got a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop w/

AMD athlon XP2400+ processor
466Mb ram (unknown hz speed... sorry, not sure where to check)
PheonixBIOS 4.0 release 6.0
ATI radeon IGP 320M 64Mb video card

(if you need anything else, please tell (and where to look!)

Anyways, I boot up the laptop, enter bios, and can't change clockspeed. Hmm... What to do? All I know (or have heard) is to change the Bios...

Anyways, if anyone's got info, and can show places to look, that'd be great! If you have any ideas on WHAT to do to over clock, that's good too. I know a laptop probably isn't the most ideal thing to overclock, but I'd like to just tinker a bit, and maybe bump it up a few Mhz. Later on I hope to get an older "scrap" computer, and see how high we can push it! (probably get some active cooling (peltier) ) and make a project of it.

dont even try, OCing a laptop is far too dangerous, it could burn it out in a matter of minutes from just a minor one, laptops just cant cool the cpu like a desktop

Even if you could overclock this computer, I would highly advise against it. Over clocking laptops is a hazard to both yourself and the laptop.

Well, I'm here to listen...

Ok, I'll agree, it's not smart, and I probably won't do so. But, let's just say I added a liquid nitrogen cooling system. How WOULD I go about this (theoretically)

I'm just interested in the process, besides, if nothing else, I might try underclocking it...

Anywho, I've always wondered about this stuff, and I just want to know how I'd do it. just satisfy the curiosity...so it doesn't kill the cat. or the computer.

Regardless if done correctly, you can overclock a laptop to obtain a substantial increase in performance with little to no side effects.

Overclocking Your Laptop

Step 1: Setup

Before overclocking your laptop, it is recommended that you restart your computer and not run any programs other than the ones listed below. Whenever your laptop freezes, immediately turn off the computer either by holding down the "power" button, pulling the power connector, or removing the battery. It is unlikely that you will damage your laptop through overclocking, but to be on the safe side it is recommended to back up your data before starting such a task.

Step 2: Setting Up Prime95

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

First, start up Prime95. Go to Options -> Torture Test, and select “In-place large FFTs.” This will cause your CPU usage to jump to 100%. When Prime95 is working, the icon will turn red. If the icon turns back to yellow, you know that Prime95 failed, which signifies that your system is unstable. Prime95 will not quit on its own; the only time in which the test will stop is if you manually go to Test -> Stop, or if your system is unstable.

Next, run ClockGen.

Step 3: Overclocking the FSB using ClockGen

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/ClockGen.shtml

Click on "Get Values" to obtain your current speed. If the speed is vastly incorrect, the ClockGen version is probably not compatible with your chipset. If its off by a few MHz, that's no problem.

Next, to overclock, simply move the FSB slider, and click on "Set Values." Move them in increments of 5, then after 2-3 of those, move by 1 each time. Pause 5-10 seconds in between each step.

When Prime95 fails, immediately lower the FSB. If your laptop gets stuck, restart your computer. You now know the maximum FSB of your laptop. Run the FSB at a speed a bit below the maximum (1-5 MHz) just in case. Run Prime95 a bit longer (10min+) to make sure its stable.

Back
Top Bottom