OverClocking - 8600GT

I'm addicted to getting the best performance out of my system, thanks to certain members. I currently have my 8600GT running at 55C w/ the fan at 60% if I'm not mistaken. 3DMark06 score is in sig. How much do you think that would increase if I OC'ed my 8600GT. I'd like to reach the 5500 mark but I doubt I can OC it enough to see such increase. So opinions, should I do it? I rarely game, when I do it's counter-strike: condition zero or warcraft3.

Haha... you could always set it I guess to overclock when a game is running, and then drop back down, BUT since you only play those types of games at the moment, why stress the card so much?
I'm sure your getting far too many FPS's to make a difference at the moment :p

I don't think overclocking a video card is putting that much stress on it when you aren't touching voltages.

True I guess...
I set my system almost to standard spec a few months ago to test something, and I never set any of the overclocked settings back...
I will do though tommorow maybe if they still work, haha.

I got it to 3.6ghz, but I couldn't push it past that without causing blue screen. At that level though, I had to put the voltages up a bit, and temps got to around 70 degrees C on each core maxed out.

At 3.2ghz, I don't even have to mess with the voltages at all. I just simply up the FSB, and its pretty much done, and I'm happy with that pretty much :p

My CPU runs at 52C under load. That's well below the limit of 60-65C. I could push the VCore to the highest, 1.65V (it's at 1.55V right now). By the trend I've seen, if I could get it stable at 1.65V I'd be hitting 3.5GHz. Unfortunately, my dumb southbridge is bottlenecking like no other!!!!!

Anyways, Cabbs, what's your opinion?

Ah yeah... the Southbridge was another problem for me at 3.6ghz...

Just try it, and see what happens :p I doubt any real harm will come of trying it, but I prefer the step method. Overclocking slightly, testing, overclocking, testing, etc.

But I guess you could just throw it up, try it, and then if it works, try lowering down the voltage some. Take my advice with a pinch of salt though...litterally

My CPU runs at 52C under load. That's well below the limit of 60-65C. I could push the VCore to the highest, 1.65V (it's at 1.55V right now). By the trend I've seen, if I could get it stable at 1.65V I'd be hitting 3.5GHz. Unfortunately, my dumb southbridge is bottlenecking like no other!!!!!

Anyways, Cabbs, what's your opinion?

I'm not too familiar with overclocking AMD systems. The last time I had any experience with it is when they had northbridges on 939 systems lol.

Anyway, I'd just see how far I could push it. I'm guessing voltage you've raised the voltage on the southbridge. Isn't 1.65V really pushing it for a 24/7 system, even on an AMD CPU? I did that to my 3500+ back in the day and I couldn't get it past 2.6 Ghz lol.

Or you could buy a new motherboard lol.

Ah yeah... the Southbridge was another problem for me at 3.6ghz...

Just try it, and see what happens :p I doubt any real harm will come of trying it, but I prefer the step method. Overclocking slightly, testing, overclocking, testing, etc.

But I guess you could just throw it up, try it, and then if it works, try lowering down the voltage some. Take my advice with a pinch of salt though...litterally

Damn! I didn't think of that! This is the way my motherboard works. You can set the VCore up to 1.35V. After that you have to do like a boost or something, I forget the term, where it allows you to increase the VCore some more, but strictly by increments of .1. However, if I lower the standard VCore to 1.30V I could technically achieve 1.6V. Damn! I'm so dumb. +Rep for you. I'll try this tomorrow.

I'm not too familiar with overclocking AMD systems. The last time I had any experience with it is when they had northbridges on 939 systems lol.

Anyway, I'd just see how far I could push it. I'm guessing voltage you've raised the voltage on the southbridge. Isn't 1.65V really pushing it for a 24/7 system, even on an AMD CPU? I did that to my 3500+ back in the day and I couldn't get it past 2.6 Ghz lol.

Or you could buy a new motherboard lol.

It's not really pushing it because my system barely uses 5% of the CPU on my day to day activities lol. Temps idle @ 30-32C on regular use. System temps idle in the same range.

Buying a new motherboard is out of the question. I have to pay for a futsal league, buy a new phone, and have money to hang out with friends and girls.

edit: Kage. I said I'd rep you and then I just replied to Cabbs' quote and left lol. Here it is.

Back
Top Bottom