OMFG Help me formattting!!!!

inbrino

Baseband Member
Im trying to reinstall windows, I am currently in mid setup (all drivers have just loaded) I chose the option to reinstall windows xp fresh and it came up with a screen showing me this...

'The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the up and down arrow keys to select an item in the list.

-To set up windows xp on the selected item, press enter
-To create a partitioned space in the uparticioned space press c
- to delete the selected partition press d

111757 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 (GF03G-4) [FAT32] 111757 MB (74082 MB free)'

If I press enter it just warns me about installing an OS on the same partition, so, I tried to delete the partion. It says I cant because the partion contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation.

So, I tried to create a new partition in the upartitioned space, I pressed 'c' and nothing happened! I have tried rebooting several times.

I also tried the recovery console. I told the computer to format 'c:' - It says 'warning data erased if selected...etc' I press 'y'. Then there is a pause, and a fresh command line comes up ready for me to input the next command. No formatting appears to have taken place.

I also tried 'diskpart' to delete/create new partion- same problem as above arises.

Any ideas or suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

ps im really sorry for the huge post

Is this a "brand name" pc with a recovery disk you are trying to format?
If it is please supply details of the brand.

If it isn't ...... boot from the XP disk (bios > boot priority > cd-rom first boot), delete all existing partitions, create a new partition (when prompted select maximum size unless you wish to divide your hdd into seperate partitions), format the new partition to ntfs, install XP

are u running setup from hard drive?.....you have to bootup via xp cd. then you should be able to delete partition

Yeah I have been doing all of above!!!

Something wierd has been happening, it wouldnt show me the windows licence agreement screen(press f8 to continue...-that one).However, I rebooted again just now and the setup drivers took a bit longer to install than usual. It then showed me the license screen, I can now format and create new partitions and carry on with the installation.

Weird huh?

Kind of weird, you didn't get tired of waiting and hit the "any" key did you :p:
All is well that ends well anyway ;)

Err, did you started setp from Windows? (PUt the CD and configure some parts in Windows)

Yes I did actually (to above post) as the computer wouldnt boot from the cd, (I did configure BIOS to boot from CDROM first).

I did try later to boot from my other drive. It booted from CDROM then. However, the same problem persisted two or three times (couldnt partition, format, no license screen etc) but then it suddenly worked.

OK, by doing this, you

a) Cannot format as there is important files for setup
b) Cannot create a partition as 3rd party programs can do it

I only see one way: Press enter and L. It will ask you to delete your windows directory so it can install Windows XP. Nothing will be lost besides that, but you won't have the same programs starting. You will need to reinstall them.

Back
Top Bottom