Old HDD in New computer, but documents folder not accessible!

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Haven't been around for a while! Hopefully all is well on your ends!

Well...finally my PSU in my old dell crapped out, but I don't use it that often anyways. However, I have some of MY music files, like stuff that I recorded, on the HDD....so, long story short, took the HDD out of the Dell (PATA) and put it into my newer machine on cable select...the HD works just fine, but my documents folder keeps saying access denied..can't copy, can't open!..it's probably because XP realizes it was from another build, but is there anyway to access that folder?....otherwise I'm going to have to go put it back in my Dell, pray that the PSU works while I transfer over my home network, and then go from there, but I'd like if at all possible, NOT to have to do that. Anywho "that's my story and I'm stickin to it" ha

Thanks guys
Zac

Could you try booting to the old drive and then transfering files? Or at the very least, can you boot to the old drive and move the files into a shared folder, then copy them over while booting to the new drive?

hmm. you must have had a pw on your account on the dell. unless you can boot from that drive your screwed my friend

duh..thanks t4ketwo...i didn't even think of that..i did have a pass on my old dell..maybe i'll try booting to the old drive and taking it off..THANK YOU...ha ha..it's always the little things!

Yes i would boot from HD if it does not let you log on to administrator on your computer thats works,and see if you can transfer the files then

Back
Top Bottom