Is it ok to use a hard drive that has crashed before?

CBJ023

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm building a PC and currently have enough money to buy it minus Windows 7 (Which I'll be getting from a friend hopefully) and the Harddrive. I have a hard drive from another computer that crashed once. I believe it was the computer that crashed, I got a screen saying it had crashed and I launched recovery clearing the hard drive, after it worked fine. So my question is can I use that hard drive in my build until I replace it with another one? And would I be able to transfer all the files onto the new one including Windows 7 so I could basically just throw the old one out. Thank you!

If the hard drive crashed, that typically means it is no longer functioning. So I got a feeling that there is nothing wrong with it and the OS just fudged up. Wipe it and give it a try. If it works then it works.

Yea, the main thing I'm worried about is 1. Will windows transfer from the 1st to the 2cd HDD, or will I need to use the install disc for the second and 2. The HDD is like 6 years old so Its not up to todays standards and I feel it would hurt my set up if I tried gaming on it

It depends on what the "crash" actually was. If it was only that some files got corrupted then it could be OK but if there was a hardware problem then it wouldn't be advisable to use it.

Regardless, I would go to the hdd mfr's website and download their diagnostic software and test the drive thoroughly before I would use it.

Agree with all of the above. Crash needs to be clarified as HDD failure sort of crash (in which case no, don't use it) or OS crash (which has nothing to do with the HDD).

I believe there were certain files on the HDD that were corrupted and prevented the computer from booting since after we wiped the HDD it worked fine

Looks to me it was a windows error.

I am using a laptop that has a damaged hdd but still functions, besides that I would just go for it, and I'm sure if he has problems you can fix it, I don't think he'd mind.

Me personally, if I have one that crashes, I don't trust it any more. It gets the sledge hammer massage before being tossed in the dumpster.

Haha I like the idea of a sledge hamer massage, but it'll only be temporary until I get the new one, then I might keep it just so I ahve two HDDs, and I'll use the old for any games that are only compatible with XP, thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom