Ok i upgraded my ram long ago

rock7dmc

Solid State Member
My computer originally had 2 512mb ddr2. I then bough 2 1gb ddr2. I had 2 open spots so i just put them in there, so i have 3gb all togethor. Since they are ddr2 they go every other spot.

I just recently learned that mixing the 512mb and the 1gb is a bad idea. So should i just take out the 2 512 sticks? I havnt really noticed a performance change since i upgraded.

Is your mobo able to run dual channel RAM? If so then just run the 2gigs which chances are dual channel ram. Where did you hear that mixing is bad? I haven't heard that before but maybe someone else differs

I don't see any problems with mixing the sizes. Just make sure that the matching memory is on the same channel. Such as the 512MB sticks in DIMM1 and DIMM3, 1GB in DIMM2 and DIMM4.

My computer originally had 2 512mb ddr2. I then bough 2 1gb ddr2. I had 2 open spots so i just put them in there, so i have 3gb all togethor. Since they are ddr2 they go every other spot.

I just recently learned that mixing the 512mb and the 1gb is a bad idea. So should i just take out the 2 512 sticks? I havnt really noticed a performance change since i upgraded.

there may be other factors that were not memory related, like your processor, if the system is pretty old the cpu might be what's holding the system back instead of RAM...

and who did you hear from that mixing different sizes of RAM was bad...? as long as they are both matching sets it wouldn't make a difference, they would still run in dual channel...

Dual channel requires the cards to be matched in the slots. In the first two put one of the 512 then one of the 1 gig. In the second pair do the same.
That should help.

As long as they are the same speed, size mixing doesn't matter. But for instance if the old 512mb sticks were ddr2-667 and the new 1gb sticks are ddr2-800 then the 2 NEW 1gb sticks will run at the OLD sticks' 667 speeds.

Back
Top Bottom