OC soon, Need some answers

50mobber

In Runtime
I want to overclock this weekend, but i want to make sure i understand how everything works before i do it. I read every OC sticky on here and i have a couple of questions.

My cpu is 3.0ghz- so its FSB 333Mhz and muti at 9

I want to see if i have this right my ram is DDR2 1066 PC2 8500. So its core speed or real operating speed would be 266Mhz, right?

My FSB is 1333Mhz but since intel quad pumps them the real FSB 333Mhz right?

If this is correct then one way to OC i could over clock the RAM to reach higher speed by adding more voltage and might have to raise the latency.

I could also lower to muti and raise the FSB right? Like lower the muti to 7 and FSB to 430mhz

Is there anything eles im missing???

I want to see if i have this right my ram is DDR2 1066 PC2 8500. So its core speed or real operating speed would be 266Mhz, right?
DDR = Dual Data Rate, your RAM's speed as listed in the BIOS is 533MHz.
My FSB is 1333Mhz but since intel quad pumps them the real FSB 333Mhz right?
Yes.
If this is correct then one way to OC i could over clock the RAM to reach higher speed by adding more voltage and might have to raise the latency.
Yes, you could, but it makes little sense running the RAM at higher frequencies than the FSB as the RAM's bandwidth is bottlenecked by the FSB since the memory controller is located in the north bridge. For example, since your FSB is 333MHz, your RAM is actually bottlenecked to 333MHz as well (667 DDR). If you overclock and increase the FSB to 400MHz, your RAM will be bottlenecked to 800MHz DDR.
I could also lower to muti and raise the FSB right? Like lower the muti to 7 and FSB to 430mhz
Just raise the FSB and keep the multi at 9. Once you get more advanced, you can try decreasing the multi to try and reach higher FSB speeds.

Increase the FSB in small jumps of 5-10MHz, and boot into Windows each time to ensure at least partial stability. Once your system fails to boot or post, you will need to increase the voltage.

My mobo's BIOS is almost identical to yours, so I can give you a few pointers.

Disable CPU Spread Spectrum and PCIE Spread Spectrum. Set all voltages manually, start with the default Vcore of 1.2V, and increase when you lose stability. FSB termination voltage (this is the biggest killer of the 45nms) should be set to 1.1V, do not raise this any higher unless you are certain it's the problem. I haven't had to increase it any I'm running mine at 4.1GHz so you shouldn't need to.
NB voltage should be set to it's default value which is I think 1.15V with the P5Qs. As you raise the FSB, you may need to increase this if raising the CPU Vcore doesn't help.
DRAM voltage should be at your RAMs specs, which is 2.0 to 2.1V, is it not?

first of all thanks for your help worshipme. I get the gist of OCing just wanted to get all my question answered first before i do anything. Ill do all those changes in BIOS overclock this weekend.

Ill post up result when i do

Thanks again +1

Back
Top Bottom