not recognizing cd/dvd drive

hascet

Fully Optimized
All of the sudden my computer doesn't show my CD or DVD drive in my computer any more, and it won't load anything from them...it just started after I installed the software for my ATI tv tuner, then I uninstalled it and no it doesn't work. I'm using Vista Ultimate and my DVD burner is a samsung, the CD burner idk what brand it is, I pulled it out of a Dell. They've been working just fine up until now.

My samsung does this occasionally its a new one and it sometimes isnt detected by the pc or windows, and sometimes the text telling u what the drive is, gets corrupted, does urs do this? what i did was to install them on opposite ide channels so only 1 dvd/cd drive per channel. So far so good. Have u unplugged the samsung from the power and then plugged it back in again? this also helped me.

One thing u dont clarify, is the pc seeing the drive in the Post screen? or is it just windows not seeing it. If its just windows, try uninstalling the dvd/ide drivers and letting it find them again.

I was gonna suggest repairing the upper and lower filters, but thats for XP, and i dont know if vista uses the same.

Have you done the usual like system restore, checking device manager, seems like its a driver issue tho coz its happened after you installed your tv tuner.

Also worth running windows update coz they are releasing compatible drivers all the time now.

k, it recognizes them when it boots up, the samsung is sata if that makes a difference, for updates I've got all of them except for the language packs

i'm gonna check and see if they work in xp too

Raffaz said:
I was gonna suggest repairing the upper and lower filters, but thats for XP, and i dont know if vista uses the same.

Have you done the usual like system restore, checking device manager, seems like its a driver issue tho coz its happened after you installed your tv tuner.

Also worth running windows update coz they are releasing compatible drivers all the time now.

What are filters? sorry never heard of them before (in this context anyway) :)

And let us know if it works ok in XP please.

xp recognizes them and I put in a cd and it cam eright up, but now in vista all it shows is a floppy even though i don't even have a floppy drive lol

Back
Top Bottom