Not me Officer, it`s the other Guy

John Bull

In Runtime
This thread is going to be killed with the first shot. Never the less, being a big dumb-bell I have to give it a ring.

Ever since Mr. Microsoft updated my IE from IE7 to IE8, there are many sites I have used for years, now subjected to Big Daddy`s IE8 justice of "Guilty until proven Innocent". Softpedia, FileHippo, Major Geeks and many more are now considered as threats. Probably the whole Internet has been programmed as a threat by IE8, I have not tried it all.

Every time I go to download something, I get a warning bar come up from IE. I click "allow download" but that is not good enough, if I go ahead, then the download freezes and so does my entire PC. I have to crash it and re-boot.
It is becoming a real adrenaline pumper.

The answer is to shut down, re-start in Safe Mode + Networking and creep round the back door which Mr.Microsoft has unwittingly left open. All is well then, we can download all these lovely "threats" without being arrested.

A lot of trouble, shut down, re-start in Safe Mode, download, shut down, re-start in Normal Mode and eventually get back to the Internet. WHEW ! what a fag.

PLEASE ;- Can anybody explain how I can possibly convince Big Daddy that these guys are not potential criminals and deserve a better deal ?

Also - BUM question - When operating in Safe Mode + Networking, do I HAVE to enable my AV and Firewall programs ? Or just go ahead naked ?

COMODO IS, my Firewall will not operate in Safe Mode, which only leaves me with the basic Windows Firewall. AVG is also no good, but I still have my old friend Spyware Terminator looking for trouble.
KAS

This thread is going to be killed with the first shot. Never the less, being a big dumb-bell I have to give it a ring.

Ever since Mr. Microsoft updated my IE from IE7 to IE8, there are many sites I have used for years, now subjected to Big Daddy`s IE8 justice of "Guilty until proven Innocent". Softpedia, FileHippo, Major Geeks and many more are now considered as threats. Probably the whole Internet has been programmed as a threat by IE8, I have not tried it all.

Every time I go to download something, I get a warning bar come up from IE. I click "allow download" but that is not good enough, if I go ahead, then the download freezes and so does my entire PC. I have to crash it and re-boot.
It is becoming a real adrenaline pumper.

The answer is to shut down, re-start in Safe Mode + Networking and creep round the back door which Mr.Microsoft has unwittingly left open. All is well then, we can download all these lovely "threats" without being arrested.

A lot of trouble, shut down, re-start in Safe Mode, download, shut down, re-start in Normal Mode and eventually get back to the Internet. WHEW ! what a fag.

PLEASE ;- Can anybody explain how I can possibly convince Big Daddy that these guys are not potential criminals and deserve a better deal ?

Also - BUM question - When operating in Safe Mode + Networking, do I HAVE to enable my AV and Firewall programs ? Or just go ahead naked ?

COMODO IS, my Firewall will not operate in Safe Mode, which only leaves me with the basic Windows Firewall. AVG is also no good, but I still have my old friend Spyware Terminator looking for trouble.
KAS

It's a very simple solution.

Firefox :D

IE8 is a really bad browser... no offense.... very slow.... u have 3 better options (imo)

chrome
firefox
opera

there are others, but these are the best (again... in my opinion)

You can simply uninstall IE8 and you'll be left with the original IE7 that was installed with Vista.

Or you can run one of the other browsers mentioned. I prefer Firefox

No, you don't have to have to start-up your AV and firewall programs in safe mode, but if you're visiting any sketchy sites, It would be a good idea.

kas, i really really urge you to try out - firefox or google chrome. i use them both, and they are free. once i discovered firefox, i never went back to IE browsers - they are slow as hell.
i am guessing that IE8 was the reason behind your defraggler problem. switch to firefox, you will not regret it. chrome has a few features missing which i would like, but i use it none the less.
haha screw internet explorer.

I tried Firefox some time agao but did not seem to get on well with it, so went back to IE7 and obviously now IE8.

Not sure what happened, but Firefox did not reveal to me the versatility and flexibility of IE by a very large margin. It seemed semi-amateur.

I would like to try it again, however in view of my previous experience see no real point in it. Firefox may well be faster in response times, but I found it did not cover the large variety of options, manipulations and advantages that IE does and was not so user friendly.

I quickly dumped it as a bad deal. I would prefer somebody to explain the agony or ecstasy of living with Big Daddy MS rather than experiment with alternative second rate browsers.

MS may well be placed in the ducking stool by many users, but it is an extremely good and well designed system with the back-up of the worlds major designer and supplier of Internet software and should not be ridiculed in an irresponsible manner by those who really do not have sufficient expertise to criticise the competence of such an industrial Goliath.

KAS

I am sorry, but Firefox is not a second rate browser

By most that use it, they consider it better than IE by farrr

It has customizable addons, and themes, and the tabs open very quickly

Give it a try, a lot has changed, and it has all + more of what IE has to offer

Back
Top Bottom