Noobish question

Pidge14

In Runtime
Okay, so i have a bunch of crap on my main computer. Mostly songs. and some programs. So i was thinking about building an extra computer just to use as a mini-server type computer to throw all my crap load of songs and what not one but also being able to access it through my main computer. So how would i do that?

You would have to set up the other computer, network the two, and drop all those files into a shard folder in "My NetworK Places." Or you could just share the hard drive(s) on the other computer. That way, you can access everything through your network. If I were you, I'd just buy a new hard drive and dedicate it to your music and stuff. It's much cheaper and easier to do, if you can add a new one.

well I'd suggest getting a router with more than 1 slot for the network cable. This way u just plug both of the computers into the router and they are both connected to each other and to the internet.

I'm kinda iffy about putting a second harddrive in my computer because i want to put limewire on it, for reasons of my own, and i have had bad times with limewire doing some odd things with my computer so i figured i could just do tihs back up all my files on my external and bam, i'm set. but i guess i'll could just do the second hdd.

Okay, with the second hard drive thing, if i put it in there and i put limewire on there and something i dowload infects the newest harddrive i put it, would it carry over and infect the main hdd?

Pidge14 said:
Okay, with the second hard drive thing, if i put it in there and i put limewire on there and something i dowload infects the newest harddrive i put it, would it carry over and infect the main hdd?
It could spread, and it always infects the windows folder. So getting a second computer would be more safe, or then u could install linux (or some other OS exept windows) on the other hdd. Then it wouldn't really matter if u got a virus since they don't work with linux. (well there are some that do, but they are extremely rare) Only problem would be that microsoft decided to be an ass so windows can't recognize linux partitions... So everything u download to the linux hdd u have to view from linux.

mammikoura said:
microsoft decided to be an ass so windows can't recognize linux partitions
some versons of linux come with a program to veiw windows computers and create windows shares. but microsoft have made a update to stop it working, however there is 1 program to do this but you need to buy the server and client program which is very expensive.

cg1 said:
some versons of linux come with a program to veiw windows computers and create windows shares.
most versions of linux should be able to view ntfs filesystems.. they just can't write on ntfs.

Back
Top Bottom