No video on comp

testman

Baseband Member
I acquired a computer from a friend of my moms to fixa few days, but I am stumped on what is actually wrong. No video will go on the monitor, as I already tried a different graphics card and monitor. Also the cd-rom wont open up either. I thought about changing the psu from one my old comps that I dont use anymore, but I want some imput before I do this.

How would I do that? and no there is no beep, the fans work though, also I noticed a small connector with a white end not connected, it is part of a larger wire that is connected right next to the agp slot. I connected it but it made no difference.

I repaired a work collegues PC a few months ago with exactly the same sympthoms.

The PC was dead and the DVD Rom draw would not open.

I unplugged the ribbon cable from the DVD Rom, powered up the PC and the draw opened. The rest of the PC was still dead however. The IDE bus from the motherboard was locking up the DVD Rom.

Eventually if found the motherboard had failed and required a replacement.
Additionally the PSU failed a few days later when testing the rest of the PC components. I suspect the PSU damaged the motherboard but cannot be sure.

A new motherboard and PSU fixed it

Have you tried the simple stuff such as re-seating the video card, trying a different VGA/DVI cord, or trying on-board video?

Back
Top Bottom