No operating system help!!!!

Grundig

Baseband Member
No operating system please help!!!!

i have a packard bell laptop with xp on it it has no recovery disks of any kind or a floppy drive to reset it i always pressed F11. I tried to install ubuntu and the disk was damaged so i gave up i partitioned the harddrive using partition magic and left windows on it but now the problems is when i want to go back to windows it just says Missing Operating System Help me please

Thanks

"The disk was damaged so I partitioned the hard drive"...
What do you mean by that?

If you did it right, you basically resized the Windows partition and put Ubuntu on a new partition. Hopefully, during the installation of Ubuntu, you chose that operating system.

Another possibility and very common mistake is related to how you removed Ubuntu. Most people just delete the partition, and think its done.. but Ubuntu does write to the MBR (Master Boot Record) to install Grub (for the menu related to dual boot), so for everything to be functional again, you'll need to restore your MBR with a Windows XP Setup Disk / Floppy. If you can find a way to do so, simply go into Repair Console, (When administrator pass prompt comes up, you can almost always just hit enter with nothing there), and then type the following:
fixmbr

Simple command that will fix it if it is a MBR problem.

Good luck.

sorry what i meant to say was i patitioned the hard drive to put ubuntu on to it as you say spilt in two got so far on the install of ubuntu and it crashed tried again same happened now everytime i boot it comes up with the packerd bell screen which says F12 for network boot or F2 for bios then it goes black and comes up with Missing Operating System

Back
Top Bottom