New RAM...

oh course not! why would it cause a system lag? get another 1 gig stick, so you have more future upgradability. you'd be happy with another gig, trust me...it helps trememdously

Jordan Pardy said:
Wouldn't two 512mb sticks have better performance?
No, I think you are thinking Dual-Channel RAM... but 2 sticks of 512MG RAM is not faster than 1 stick of 1GB RAM.

what cpu do you have? because the athlon 64 doesnt like to have 4x512Mb of ram. better to have 2x1G.

Jordan Pardy said:
Wouldn't two 512mb sticks have better performance?

True, because with one 1GIG stick, you can't dual-channel that RAM, where with 2 512MB sticks will dual-channel.

Fisher - not true, it depends on the motherboard.

Jordan - the best thing to do would be to sell the 2 x 512MB sticks you have at the moment, and then get a 2 x 1GB Dual Channel pack.

The 2 x 512MB would be faster than a single 1GB as they would be in Dual Channel Mode. However, with 3 sticks the motherboard reverts to Single Channel mode, so it wouldn't be as fast as 2 x 1GB.

i currently have 512 on my desktop (amd 2.5 barton, cant rember the motherboard at the mo cos i am not at home, but it was a top Asus when i brought it 3 years ago) what are my best ram options, shal i just add a 1GB stick, or 2 512s? how well would the sytem run with one 512 and one 1GB sticks.

Also obviously at the mo the motherboard only has AGP x8, i have a radeon 9500, is it worth upgrading to another AGP? and are AGP grx cards still available?

cheers

Well, if you want to dual-channel, you will need to get two sticks of the same size. Probably the best way to go is two 512MB sticks. If you had the money, and your motherboard could support it, go the extra yard and get two 1GB sticks. But, for best results, get two identical sticks of the same size so you can get the best performance while dual-channeling.

k0k09964 - it depends on whether your motherboard can support Dual Channel. Also, you need two sticks made by the same manufacturer for best performance.

And make another thread with some more details if you want a new graphics card ;)

Back
Top Bottom